The Greek God of War
Ares was the god of war and his Roman name was Mars. He was an immortal being, and hi parents were Zeus and Hera but they absolutely despised him along with the other gods and goddesses.
He was handsome and cruel and often carried a bloodstained spear. It was said that his throne on Mount Olympia was covered with human skin. It was also said that he had a beard and was an elder warrior who wore a brilliant suit of armor wherever he went
Ares was married to Aphrodite, the Goddess of love. They had 8 children together, and among them was Eros, the god of love. Whenever Ares went to war he was followed by Deimos (terror) and Phobos (fear) who were said to be two of his children. Etymologically, his name meant "Destroyer"or "Avenger". Zeus and Hera where commonly known as Ares's parents but in some legends he was born when Hera touched a flower.
Ares's relationship with other people was really bad. His parents absolutely hated him and all the other gods thought he was extremely annoying and cruel so they also despised him. The relationships with his enemies and mortals was also bad. The mortals shuddered and the mention of his name and his enemies were terrified of him too.
Present Day Connection
- Ares Roman name was Mars and they named the planet after him
- He is said to be jealous of others which makes sense because that is what causes wars and in mythology, he causes wars
- He is shown in both Marvel and DC videogames and comics
- Almost died many times once by Hercules, once by two giants, and once by Athena, a much more skilled fighter
- Was more admired by Romans, as Mars, than Greeks
- Was on the losing side of the Trojan War