VES Back to School Bluebird
The First Day of School Will Be Friday, September 10th!
Dear Village School Families,
We hope you are enjoying the summer and looking forward to all the wonders that a new school year brings! Our team is ready to welcome you to our VES family and home of Blazer the Bluebird! Getting to know your children and all that makes them unique brings us great pride. It is our honor to provide all students with the best learning experiences possible within a culturally responsive and caring environment. Please visit our websites to learn more about our school and district's diversity, equity and inclusion practices.
The Montgomery Elementary School PTA co-presidents, Mrs. Yuna Kim and Mrs. Unnati Patel and their team of volunteers are assisting us in planning for a terrific school year. Please visit the PTA link on our website for more information and ways to get involved.
On our first few days of school, our staff and PTA volunteers will help guide students to classrooms in the morning and their buses during dismissal. Color coded maps at each entrance will also help students navigate the building. Please join us for the Open House on September 3rd for a building preview!
Please review this issue of the Bluebird for important dates and links. Most importantly, take some time to review our updated 2021-2022 school handbook which includes detailed information about VES as well as the VES website and Twitter feed to stay updated and informed throughout the year!
We look forward to seeing you!
Ms. Susan Lacy, Principal
Mrs. Lia Camuto, Assistant Principal
Join Us for the VES Open House on Friday, September 3rd!
- Your child's Bus Tag and Parent Pickup Cards will be available in your child's classroom. If you are unable to attend they will be given to students on the first day of school.
- Any medications and forms will be accepted in the VES Health Office during the Open House.
Open House Schedule:
- 3rd Grade: 12:45-1:45
- 4th Grade: 2:00 - 3:00
Placement and Supply List Information
Friday, August 27th after 5 PM, class lists and teacher welcome letters will be available on Parent Resources. Click here to find the general grade level supply lists that were shared in our May/June newsletter and MTSD eblasts. Please note that chromebook sleeves will not be needed at this time. Teacher welcome letters may include a request for supplies in addition to those listed on our general grade level supply lists. Keep in mind that teacher websites may continue to be updated until school begins.
Please note that you will only be able to access class list and teacher welcome letters once all required forms are completed. Please click here to read the letter regarding required forms from Mrs. Corie Gaylord, Director of Student Academic and Counseling Services that was eblasted on August 16th.
We have worked diligently to place your child in the best possible setting. Please know that at this time we will not be able to accommodate any requests for classroom changes. Thank you for understanding.
To View Student Placement Information:
1) Visit https://parents.mtsd.k12.nj.us
2) Enter your username, which is your email address, and your password. If you forget your password, use the "Forgot My Password" link. Your password will then be sent by email. If you are unable to log in or do not have an account, please contact email@example.com
3) Click on documents and view the teacher's welcome letter".
Back to School with Chartwells
Snacks and Food Allergies
A Note From the Health Office
If your child requires medication at school either administered daily or as needed for an emergency (this includes Epi Pens), please make sure that all medication is brought into the Health Office before the first day of school and that all required medical forms are completed for administration of the medication. The forms are found on the VES website under Health forms and include: the Allergy Action Plan, Asthma Treatment Plans and Medication Administration form.
Medications and forms will be accepted in the Health Office during the Open House on September 3rd.
If your child is new to the school district, please provide the Health Office with a current physical exam completed by his or her physician and a copy of your child's immunization record before the first day of school. Please have the physician complete the Child Health Form also found on the VES website under forms. If you have any question, please do not hesitate to call the Health Office.
Parent Information Session
Wednesday, Sep. 1st, 6pm
This is an online event.
School Health and Safety Information
All staff and students will remain masked throughout the day both indoors and outdoors, except while actively eating during snack and lunch times.
Three masks are required: one to wear each day; one to remain in the classroom (in a Ziplock bag with your child's name on it), one to keep in their backpack (in a Ziplock bag with your child's name on it) Masks must:
- fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- completely cover the nose and mouth
- be secured with ties or ear loops
- include multiple layers of fabric
- allow for breathing without restriction
- be washed and machine dried without damage or change to shape
- NOT include vents/valves
Students should also bring:
- personal hand wipes for snack and lunch time; our recess precedes lunch
- a small bottle of hand sanitizer
- personal pack of tissues
Contact tracing will be initiated and close contacts quarantined should there be a positive case. Contact-tracing will take place when:
Students are within six feet of each other unmasked for longer than 15 minutes in a 24-hour period
Students are within three feet of each other masked for longer than 15 minutes in a 24-hour period
Snack-time will take place in the classroom or outdoors when feasible based on teacher discretion. Snack-time will last no longer than 15 minutes.
Lunch will take place in our cafeteria with students seated at least three feet apart. Students will be unmasked only when actively eating. All students will have assigned seating to assist any necessary contact-tracing.
Classroom, lunch, and bus seating charts will be required.
This year, students may:
Take books from classroom library
Share materials when needed
Meet for small group instruction (at 3ft) at the discretion of the teacher
- Recess will resume normal activity and playground use, masks will remain on.
- Indoor recess will take place in the classroom
- Custodians will continue Covid cleaning protocols and disinfect all classrooms, bathrooms and cafeteria every day
- Hand sanitizers stations are in classrooms, hallways and the cafeteria
- Caregivers will need to complete a daily health screening form for each Villager
Parent Pick Up and Drop Off
Students are encouraged to ride the bus to and from school but if you need to transport your child, please review these drop off and pick up procedures carefully to help us create a safe and smooth process.
Before School Drop Off: If you need to drive your child to school, please use the driveway on the right side of the school to travel to the rear entrance. This entrance will be open from 9:25 a.m. - 9:35 a.m. Please do not drop your child off early as the doors will be locked until 9:25, and there is no supervision. Upon arriving at the rear of the school please follow the guidelines below.
Travel as far forward as possible along the sidewalk on your left.
Have your child ready to exit the car when you reach the sidewalk.
Stop your vehicle next to the school sidewalk.
Your child may exit on his or her own on the driver’s side of the car, along any part of the sidewalk. Children are not permitted to exit from the passenger side without assistance from an adult.
Two doors will be open and supervised for your child’s convenience and to assist with the flow of traffic.
Please remain in the line of cars in front of you and wait for traffic to move. Do not dart around any cars to avoid colliding with those exiting at the front of the line. Should you need to pass another car to exit, please do so with extreme caution!
DO NOT park in the Fire Lane for any reason.
Please do not drop students off in the front of Village School at any time, except for before school programs. After 9:35 a.m., park in our front visitors’ lot and walk your child into the building. An adult must sign children in.
After School Pickup : Please send a note to your child’s teacher if you plan on picking up your child in the afternoons. Include in the note, the name of the person picking up your child. Teachers will send their students to the parent pickup waiting area in the cafeteria with their pick up note. Without a note, children will be sent to their buses.
- We will provide 3 Parent Pick Up signs at the Open House or the first day of school. Circle one name per form indicating who the pick up person is. If someone not listed on the sign is picking up your child, please notify the school and add that person's name to one of your copies.
- Please have these Parent Pick Up signs and your ID (valid driver's license) ready to display on the driver's side window to help us expedite the pick up process. (If you don't have a sign on the first day, please create one that includes: your child's name, grade, teacher's name and the name of the caregiver picking up your child). Please mark your signs clearly with 3 and/or 4 in bold print to indicate your child’s grade and to assist us with the procedures outlined below.
Parent Pick Up Dismissal Times:
- 4th grade parent pickup students will be dismissed at 3:45
- 4th grade parents should arrive as early as possible, by 3:40, so your children can be released in a timely manner and the driveway can be cleared for 3rd grade parents.
- 3rd grade parent pick up students will be dismissed at 3:55.
- 3rd grade parents should arrive between 3:50 and 3:55. Parents arriving prior to that time may be asked to circle the property or pull over to allow the on-time 4th grade parents to pick up first.
- If you have children in both grades, please arrive during the 3rd grade pickup window.
Driving Directions: Use the driveway on the right side of the school to travel to the rear entrance of the building and follow the instructions below:
- Travel as far forward as possible along the sidewalk on your left.
- Stop your vehicle next to the school sidewalk.
- Staff members will call for your child and sign him/her out for you using a preapproved parent/guardian pickup checklist.
- Children will enter your vehicle on the driver's side only.
- Please remain in the line of cars in front of you and wait for traffic to move. Do not dart around any cars to avoid colliding with those exiting at the front of the line. Should you need to pass another car to exit, please do so with extreme caution!
- Continue to follow the roadway back to Main Blvd.
Please review our school handbook for additional details regarding our midday drop off and pick up procedures and the best way to communicate same day changes to your dismissal needs. Your assistance in following these guidelines will help us and help you, keep all children and visitors safe. Thank you for your cooperation!
School Counselor Offerings
Our counselors, Mrs. Fornal and Mrs. Schantz, are both excited to start the school year. They provide social, emotional and academic support to any VES student in need. Throughout the school year, they offer individual and small group counseling to students who would benefit from additional support. To begin the year, they will be hosting groups to support our newcomers so they can acclimate and develop friendships within our learning community.
Feel free to reach out to them with any questions. Mrs. Schantz will be the third grade counselor and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mrs. Fornal will be the fourth grade counselor and can be reached at email@example.com. You may also call 609-466-7606 and press 5 for the counseling office. If you have any questions or concerns that require an immediate attention, please contact the main office. Our counselors will be available for assistance once school resumes in September.
YMCA After School Program at VES
The YMCA of Princeton provides childcare before and after school for children who attend VES. The YMCA tailors its hours to accommodate working families, and offers children diverse and enriching activities in a safe and nurturing environment.
Registration packets will be available in the main office. For more information, you may visit our website at:
www.princetonymca.org or call the YMCA After School Program Office at: 609-497-9622. Please clearly state your name, your child’s name, and a phone number where we can return your phone call.