Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
January 8, 2016
Mrs. Johnston's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @MrsTJohnston
Upcoming Dates to Remeber
Jan 15th- 1/2 day of school
Jan 18th- no school
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- Day 6- Music
- Tuesday- Day 1- Art
- Wednesday- Day 2- PE
- Thursday- Day 3 Music
- Friday- Day 4- PE
You may now access your child's report card now. Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
What's Happening in Mrs. Johnston's Class
- We will be talking about fact and fiction.
- We will be working on test taking skills...what good reader's do ALL the time.
- We will begin our new small reading groups.
- Students will continue to learn about strategies when reading independently.
- We will continue looking at and investigating nonfiction pieces including opinion and persuasive texts.
- We will continue our daily 5 activities where we will read, write, and do word work.
- This week we will begin learning about money. We will work on coin recognition as well as finding the value of a collection of coins.
- This is a skill easily practiced at home with real coins! :)
- We will continue with math workshop where the students practice math alone, with partners, and in groups while I get to know the students better as mathematicians.
- We will continue to solve real world problems using many different strategies that we have learned through exploration and through watching others.
- Students will be working to create their own math games, four blocks, and problems of the day. These will become part of our math workshop as they finish them.
- This week we held a trial to decide if the big bad wolf is guilty or innocent...we found him guilty of blowing down houses and eating pigs. Such a fun time writing our opinion pieces!
- We will continue writing opinion and persuasive pieces.
- We will also be doing some on demand writing- what do you do when someone gives you a topic to write about?
- We will continue to write about topics of our choice.
If you can imagine it... you can explore it!! We continue to study topics of our choice during Genius Hour ...one of best times of the week! The students have started exploring how to make things...they first must research it and write about it, they then need to make it and present about it. They are having so much fun they don't even know they are learning! :)
NEWS FROM THE THORPE CREEK OFFICE
Family STEAM Night
Get excited and mark your calendars for our first TCE FAMILY S.T.E.A.M. NIGHT on Friday, February 5th from 5:30-7:30pm. STEAM is an educational term to describe real world opportunities for students to learn with science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math. At the TCE FAMILY STEAM NIGHT, TCE students and their family members of all ages are welcome to come and participate in a variety of unique, educational STEAM experiences. Participants will travel as a family (children with their adults) to share in the learning process! Pizza will be available in the cafeteria for families to purchase. More details will be forthcoming! We hope you plan to be there!
Background Checks & Anti-bullying Video
If you want to volunteer, chaperone fieldtrips or eat lunch in the cafeteria, guests must have an approved background check on file and complete the Anti-bullying video. Background checks are good for 3 years. If you have questions about your background check, contact the TCE office.