Lakeview Family Newsletter - December 6
Prefer to read this in a different language? Scroll to the bottom and click "translate".
All is calm, All is bright
• Have routines and stick to them - If you want calm and peace, then make your children's lives predictable. Morning routines, nighttime routines, homework routines, dinner routines, cleanup routines, etc. Have kids do their work in the same order each time so that it becomes a habit. Even a busy household can have predictable routines.
• Make sure to give them your attention - Kids crave adult attention and they will get it from you one way or another. Be proactive and give it to them first before they demand it of you. Try playing a game, talking, cooking, or another activity together.
• Give calmness a purpose - Choose activities at various times during the day that are calm. On the top of that list should be reading. Every student in 1st through 5th grade should be able to read for 45 minutes without stopping (they do it at school). Younger students should be able to go 20 minutes by now. Technology time is ok in moderation.
• When tensions get high, disengage - If a child is not following directions, trying writing it down and walking away. Resist the natural urge to "have the last word". Sometimes as adults, we actually make the problem worse instead of better when we have a hard time keeping ourselves calm.
• Practice mindfulness - Our students all know to take breaths to find a calm place. Take moments when things are going well to close your eyes with your child, feel your heartbeat, take three silent breaths, and be still. The key is for students to practice this before they need to use it for real.
We hope these tips help make the season merry and bright!
Friday, Dec 13 - 4K is in session this day
December 16-20 - Spirit dress up days (see below)
Thursday, Dec 19 - Kohl's Wild Theater comes to Lakeview for grades 2-5
Friday, Dec 20 - Last day of school before Winter Break!
No school December 23 through January 3
Monday, January 6, 2020 (!) - First day of school after Winter Break
Spirit Dress up Days for Dec 16-20
Our student council has chosen spirit dress-up days for the week before Winter break.We would love to see everyone celebrate the season by wearing the following each day:
Monday, Dec 16 - Red and Green day (wear as much red & green as possible)
Tuesday, Dec 17 - Pajama day
Wednesday, Dec 18 - Flannel shirt day
Thursday, Dec 19 - Holiday Headwear day (Santa hat, reindeer antlers, etc.)
Friday, Dec 20 - Ugly sweater day
New Front Door Button
From the PTO:
We would like to introduce a new fundraiser from the one and only frozen pastry dough Butter Braid. This delicious bakery made from flakey Danish dough is a delightful treat for your holiday gatherings or even breakfast for the kiddos! Additional tasty recipes can be found on-line at butterbraid.com
Order forms will be due back on Friday December 13. Pick up will be after school until 6pm on Thursday December 19th. Thank you for helping raise money for our Lakeview Lions playground equipment! We truly appreciate your support and hope you have a wonderful holiday season!
If you need another order form, click the PDF document below.
Be on Time & Stay all Day!
How to talk about School Safety with your child
• If you see something, say something
• Reinforce that schools are safe places with adults that can be trusted
• Teach children that violence is never the answer to personal problems