Eagle Update: March 12, 2021
Barton Hills Elementary
Hello BHE Families:
Happy Spring Break. I hope you all have a fabulous and relaxing week. Please continue to be vigilant about our communities health and safety by following masking and social distancing recommendations.
When we return from Spring Break, we will begin our last nine weeks of the 20-21 School Year! We are expecting more students to return to on campus learning after Spring Break and want to remind parents to please review all the arrival and dismissal procedures for returning to campus. There are also several key dates/events coming up that I want to make sure to highlight:
- Mark your calendars for a change to April 9th. The district has changed this day from and Asynchronous learning day to a regular school day.
- March 26th and 27th we will have Spring Individual Picture Days. Order forms for our in person learners will go home with students on Monday, March 22nd. For our remote learners, there is a sign-up genius link to select your time to come to campus on Saturday, March 27th for individual pictures. That link is below. At this time we do not have a make-up day scheduled.
- STAAR testing for 3rd - 6th graders will happen in April and May. We will communicate with each grade level the specific days for testing for both in person and remote learners but I have added them to the Upcoming dates section for anyone who wants a preview :).
Thank you so much for your help and cooperation - we are all working together to support our students and ensure their health and safety.
- March 15 - 19 - Spring Break
- March 26 - Individual Spring Pictures for on campus learners
- March 27 - Individual Spring Pictures for Remote Learners (see link below)
- April 2 - Staff Development Day/Student Holiday
- April 6 - STAAR Writing - 4th Grade only on campus learners
- April 13 - STAAR Writing - 4th Grade only off campus learners (given on campus)
- April 9 - Regular Learning Day (previously asynchronous)
- May 11 - STAAR Reading for 3rd - 6th grade on campus learners
- May 12 - STAAR Math for 3rd - 6th grade on campus learners
- May 13 - STAAR Science for 5th grade on campus learners and make up tests for on campus learners
- May 14 - STAAR make up tests for on campus learners
- May 17 - STAAR Reading for 3rd - 6th grade off campus learners (given on campus)
- May 18 - STAAR Math for 3rd - 6th grade off campus learners (given on campus)
- May 19 - STAAR Science for 5th grade off campus learners and make ups for tests for off campus learners
- May 20 & 21 - STAAR make up test dates for 3rd - 6th grade off campus learners
Please use this Sign Up to schedule a time for your child(s) Spring Individual Picture. This schedule is for Off-Campus Learners.
At the end of March, our school will do a community-wide book study on Anti-Racist Baby by Ibram X. Kendi. This book "introduces the youngest readers and the grown-ups in their lives to the concept and power of antiracism. Providing the language necessary to begin critical conversations at the earliest age, Antiracist Baby is the perfect book for readers of all ages dedicated to forming a just society."
NEW INFORMATION: Each family at Barton Hills will receive a copy of the book after spring break. One copy of the book will be sent home with the youngest student in the family. For our off-campus learners, we will have the books available for pick up when you come to campus for your Spring Picture Day!
Click on the link below to get more information from the author himself.
Antiracism scholar Ibram X. Kendi doesn’t believe it’s possible to be “not racist.” The award-winning author, director of Boston University’s Center for Antiracist Research, and the 2020/2021 Frances B. Cashin Fellow at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study said during a recent TED interview that “the heartbeat of racism itself has always been denial, and the sound of that ...
New and Returning Student Registration for 2021-2022 School Year
We love our BHE staff and this is one way to recognize the outstanding job they do! If you have someone to RAVE about, please consider submitting one here.
If Your Chid is Returning to School In Person: Before You Arrive to School Everyday:
Austin ISD App
Click on the COVID-19 Screen and Go Button
COVID-19 Pre-Screen Questions
Answer four quick questions about your child's health. You have to complete the screener for each child.
Screenshot the GREEN GOOD TO GO page
You're ready for the temp check and school! You have to complete/screenshot the page for each individual child. Please make sure we can see the child's name at the bottom and the date at the top.
COVID-19 Pre-Screen Questions
When You Arrive at School
Look for the Blue Star stencils - they are a visual guide to maintain a six foot distance
Health Screening Checkpoint
This is where we'll check to ensure each child has been prescreened and take his/her/their temperature. If everything is good, students will get a sticker and can proceed into the building.
Car riders will stay in the car until the health screening has been completed. We ask that everyone in the car be maksed. Walkers and bikers will be screened at the front entrance. Any adults accompanying walkers and bikers must wear a face mask on school grounds.
Health Screening Checkpoint
Arrival and Dismissal Protocols/Procedure Reminders
- All students must have their temperatures checked prior to entering the building. If they are arriving by car the temp checks are done in the car before they exit. If they arrive by bike or walking, the screening is done by the main doors.
- Please complete the COVID-19 Screener for each students before arriving on campus. If you have more than one student, you can screenshot the "green" screen. The Screener must show the student name - not the parent name. See pictures below if you are unsure what the app looks like. You will need your students ID number. This is the same as their "s" number - just without the "s". You can also find their ID number from your parent cloud account.
- Everyone must wear a mask- we ask that even in the cars, adults wear masks for safety of the screeners.
- Please do not pull around the car line.
- Do not drop off students in the parking lot or pull through the parking lot to avoid the screening line.
- On cold mornings, it is helpful to turn off the car heater - when students sit under the car heater it impacts their temperature :)
- Arrive by 7:40 to complete the screening and allow enough time for your student to walk to class, unpack their things, and be prepared for the start of the classes opening activities/Zoom meeting.
- If you arrive after the screeners have gone inside, you will need to call the front office and we will have to come out to you. Because this requires additional time, we respectfully ask that you arrive no later than 7:40.
To enhance our dismissal procedures, and help us maintain better social distancing we are going to be more rigorous with our staggered dismissal times. You can help by waiting to come pickup your student (or getting in the pick up line) until your grade level dismissal time.
2:45 - all siblings (in different grade levels) and EAC bus riders will be called to the cafeteria
2:50 we will begin dismissing siblings and EAC bus riders in the front of the building
3:00 - we will dismiss Kinder, First and Fifth graders in the front of the building
3:00 - we will dismiss Second, Third, Fourth, and Sixth graders on the north side of the property off of Briarcrest Drive (where they have been dismissing)
If you are walking up to pick up your child, please do not walk up to the class/classroom teacher. Please stay on the sides of the covered walkway and we will bring (or send) your child. to you.
Breakfast and Lunch
Free breakfast and lunch will be available daily to all students. Breakfast is served in the classrooms. If your child will want breakfast at school, please let your child's teacher know so they can be sure to add them to the "count." Lunch is served daily. There is a set menu and no a la carte menu items (single milks, single menu items, snacks, etc.). When the weather is nice and we are able, we will plan to picnic outside on the large rocks above the blacktop. When we are unable to eat outside we will be in the cafeteria at the cafeteria tables with distanced seating (as possible) and plexiglass barriers on the tables.
Browser History Reminders
Please note and remind your children their browser history can’t be cleared. Remind students that their browser history on an Austin ISD device cannot be cleared. Anyone who opens history on their device will be able to see students’ search history, along with dates and times.
How to Check Status on District Systems
AISD’s technology team has launched a webpage that allows school communities to check the status of district systems such as the cloud and portal, as well as Accelify, School Messenger, and Zoom, at www.austinisd.org/technology/status.