Five questions will guide our study:
- What are civic life, politics and government?
- What are the origins and foundations of the American political system?
- How does the government established by the Constitution function to embody the purposes, values, and principles of American constitutional democracy?
- What is the relationship of the U.S. to other nations and its role in world affairs?
- What are the roles of citizens in American society?
- Notebook paper, loose leaf or spiral bound,
- Folder or notebook to keep notes, works in progress, and graded work,
- Pen, pencil, highlighter,
- Text book, which will be provided.
LATE WORK: As a general rule, late work is not accepted. Students who are not prepared for class struggle to participate and find it difficult to catch up. However, emergencies do happen. Each student will be provided with ONE late homework pass per MARKING PERIOD. The pass, with an explanation for the late work, must be completed in full . Then the pass and late assignment are turned in together.
Students who have excused absences should turn in make-up work in accordance with the student handbook. This work is not considered late and does not require a pass.
MARKING PERIOD GRADES:
40% assessment, including tests and large projects
15% concept checks, including quizzes and warm-up questions
35% assignment, which includes classwork, homework and small projects
10% participation, including classroom interactions, contributions, and Edmodo posts
Atherton has a wonderful electronic grade book that makes it possible for parents and students to check grades at any time. As a general rule, I post all graded work within 2 days of its due date. The parent portal for accessing grades and attendance is ParentVUE, which can be accessed at www.athertonschools.org. In addition, ParentVUE is available an an app for both Apple and Android devices.
Student Signature: ___________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: ____________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Phone: _______________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Email ________________________________________________
Does your student have Internet access at home (circle one) YES NO