November 15th, 2015
STUDENT COUNCIL FALL FOOD DRIVE
Thanks to everyone who helped with our canned food drive! We had a very high participation rate. This drive came at a perfect time because it also connected to our Kindness Day this Friday. It was a conversation we had this week, there are many ways we can show kindness to others. Giving is just one, and we all thank you for your generosity.
· Reader's Workshop: We finished our study of informational narratives and we are turning our focus to informational text. Students will begin to grapple with the difference between fact and opinion. We will also begin to ask good questions about our research projects
· Math Workshop: We will begin our unit on multiplication by modeling multiplication in various ways. Students will learn 4 different ways to model multiplication, and we will be looking for examples of all these ways in and around our school.
· Social Studies: We are beginning a unit in Social Studies that asks the question: How do communities change over time? We will learn about early peoples who lived in North America and travel through time to the early 1900s. This will be quite a journey and we'll begin to track this journey by creating a classroom timeline.
Students should read for 30 minutes each night.
In Math this week we will be looking at 4 different ways to model multiplication: Equal Groups, Repeated Addition, Arrays, and Number Lines. These various representations will help to give students a concrete idea of multiplication. I'm sending home a short "home connections" to explain what we will be working on so you can supplement our learning at home.
The MobyMax website is a good supplement to student studying as well https://www.mobymax.com/signin
Here's how to volunteer in 3 easy steps:
1) Click this link below to see our Sign-Up on VolunteerSpot
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on VolunteerSpot.
If there is ever a transportation change for your child please send your child into school with a note, or contact the office by 2:00 pm. I must have a note from you or the office stating a transpiration change. If I do not receive a note I will send your child home the usual way.
What's Going on Here at Cumberland Road Elementary School?
Snacks and Lunch
Snack: Students will be allowed to bring a snack in the morning since our lunch time is later in the day. Snacks need to be healthy and nutritious. Please refrain from bringing items with tree nuts due to allergies. Students can also bring a bottle of water to school each day.
Lunch: We will eat lunch each day from 1:05-1:35 in the cafeteria. Your child may eat school lunch or bring his or her lunch from home. Lunch options this year are hot lunch, turkey sandwich, peanut butter & jelly, chef salad, or pizza pack.
Lunch Visits and Background Checks
For more information on background checks and the anti-bullying webinar, please visit: