Google Team Drives
WHPS Tech Tip
Google Drive keeps getting easier for you and your team to use!
Team Drives are shared spaces where teams can store their files and guarantee that every member has the most up-to-date information, no matter the time or place.
Team Drive and End-of-Year Procedures
Share your files with your team so no one loses access when there are staffing changes or when a person's account is disabled at the time of leaving WHPS.
- Every person and Google Group added to a Team Drive gets instant access to that team's documents
- Designed to store the team's work collectively, so if a document's creator moves off of the team that document doesn't go with them
- Team members prevented from accidentally removing or deleting files that others need
How do I get started?
- Visit drive.google.com.
- Click "Team Drives" on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click the blue "Team Drive" button on the left-hand side of the screen to create a new Team Drive for you and your teammates or to access an existing Team Drive that you are a member of.
- Add teammates and files to your Team Drive.
- Play around! Use Team Drives in your everyday work.
- Check out the Help Center if you have any issues.
How do I migrate files to Team Drive?
To move files between Team Drives or from My Drive into a Team Drive, drag the file(s) into the destination Team Drive folder.
- You can move individual files into Team Drives, as long as you have Edit access to those files and the current file owners are members of the destination Team Drive
- If someone else owns the file, you need to ask them to move it
- You can also right click on the file(s), click Move To, and navigate to the desired Team Drive
How do I migrate folders to Team Drive?
- in Team Drive, create a new folder
- in My Drive, highlight all of the files that you want to move
- Drag the files to the Team Drive in the left navigation menu, or right click on the selected files and select Move To, then navigate to the desired Team Drive