Hearne Elementary School Newsletter
August 2018-September 2018
Follow Us to Stay Informed
Text @hearnehu to 81010.
Welcome Back, Huskies!
Greetings Husky Students and Families,
Welcome back to another awesome year! I hope you had a safe and restful break. Your Hearne family missed you very much and cannot wait to see you in a few, short weeks. Our entire staff has been working tirelessly all summer. Get ready for an exceptional year, Huskies!
Save the Date!
Meet the Teacher will take place on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 from 3:00-5:00 PM. Arrive on time so you can find parking. School spirit items will be on sale. There will also be prizes and snacks.
School Supplies and Dress code
Enclosed, you will find our 2018-2019 school supply list and dress code guidelines. Please use these resources as you shop for the school year. Just a reminder, tax-free weekend is from Friday, August 10th to Sunday, August 12th.
Alief ISD is a uniform school district. Students are permitted to wear a Hearne spirit shirt on Wednesdays and a college/university shirt on Fridays this year. Jeans will be permitted later in the school year. We will send more information once this incentive begins.
Parent Involvement Opportunities
This year there will be several opportunities for you to share your input, receive support your child at home, and apply skills and strategies from the classroom. Our first Coffee with the Principals will take place on Wednesday, August 29th from 8:30-10:00 AM. Join us as we kick off the school year. Refreshments will be served.
Update Contact Information
Alief ISD has moved to an online registration system. All newly registered students should have used this system to register for this school year. All returning students have already been added to the new system based on last year’s information. If you moved or updated your phone numbers over the summer, look out for directions to update this information during the first weeks of school. You can also share your new contact information with your student’s teacher at Meet the Teacher on August 14th.
Hearne Elementary School has a long, proud tradition of academic success grounded in a family atmosphere. I look forward to the fabulous feats we will accomplish for the 2018-2019 school year!
If you need anything, please let us know so we can support you and your family.
Mrs. Johanna Sanchez
Hearne Elementary Mode of Dress
Yes, we are a dress code campus!
Hearne Elementary School
Mode of Dress for the 2018-2019 School Year
Navy Blue or Khaki
*Jeans allowed ONLY with special permission.
Any Solid Color Collared Shirt or Spirit Shirt on Wednesdays
- Too loose clothing or attire too tight for walking, sitting, bending, or reaching is unacceptable to wear to school.
- Oversized clothing, sagging pants, and exposure of undergarments are not permitted.
- Form-fitting shorts or pants of Lycra or spandex and biker shorts are not permitted.
- Cut-offs and slashed or ripped clothing is prohibited.
- Hats, caps, and bandanas must not be worn unless for special campus events. Parents will be notified.
- Hemlines of shorts, skirts, and dresses may be no more than 2” above the knees.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. House shoes/slippers are not allowed.
- Body piercing is limited to the ears only. Earrings are not permitted to be worn by male students in elementary school.
For more information, please read the Student Handbook and Code of Conduct.
Hearne-Specific School Supplies by Grade Level (Some items may overlap)
Save the Date for the Upcoming Campus Events:
Visit our website regularly!
- June 28th- Last day of Summer School
- August 2nd- Registration begins
- August 14th Meet the Teacher (3PM-5PM)
- August 15th- First Day of School
- August 29th- Coffee with the Principals at 8:30 AM
- August 31st- Back to School Dance
- September 3rd- Labor Day (Staff/Student Holiday)
- September 20th- Open House/Title One Night
- October 1-5- Eat Lunch with your child this week
- October 16th- AVID 4th Grade Family Workshop
- October 18th- Picture Day, Report Cards go Home
- October 24th- Coffee with the Principals at 8:30 AM
- October 26th- Fall Festival
- October 27th- Alief International Parade
- October 29-November 2nd- Red Ribbon Week
Lunch with Your Child
The Tradition will continue!
Lunch with your child will begin the week of October 1-5, 2018.
Due to the size of our cafeteria, parents and guardians are welcome to eat lunch with their child on select days based on grade level.
Tuesday- 1st Grade/REACH
Wednesday- 2nd Grade/Life Skills
Thursday- 3rd Grade
Friday- 4th Grade
Encourage your student: See Something, Say Something!
Over the past few weeks, we have been reinforcing this simple phrase: "See Something, Say Something."
Please help us by encouraging your student to speak up and share anything that may be considered unsafe. The more we know, the better and faster our response can be.
Front Office Reception Area Construction To Be Unveiled in Fall 2018!
In an effort to maintain campus safety, Hearne underwent minor construction in the months of May through July 2018.
Our front office reception area will be moved to the front of the building, near Pre-Kindergarten. Security doors will be added to the front of the building and a new, welcoming reception area will be constructed. We look forward to sharing the new area with you at Meet the Teacher!
Please contact an administrator if you have any questions. We will be happy to answer them!
We build meaningful relationships with all stakeholders.
We maintain a safe environment in a positive atmosphere.
We focus on student achievement.
We are committed.
We are a family.
Hearne Elementary will provide a learning environment, where all students are empowered as leaders and critical thinkers. We are committed to building positive relationships in a safe environment while creating life-long learners who are prepared for the 21st century.
The mission of Hearne Elementary School is to guide our students to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to make responsible life choices and positive contributions in a diverse society. In collaboration with home and community, we respond to the needs of every child, ensuring that each child can and will learn.
Learning today; leading tomorrow!
Theme this year
It's not the team with the best players that win.
It's the players with the best team that wins.
Protecting Personal Information
Due to unique family situations (ex. guardianship/custody, protective orders, restraining orders, etc.) and safety concerns for all, personal information will not be shared with via phone calls because identity cannot be verified. Please contact an administrator if you have any concerns. We will be happy to support your concerns.
Bus Riders will use a SMART Tag!
In just three easy steps, you and your child can have peace of mind knowing that they are safe and sound on their way to and from school. The SMART Tag electronic bus transportation system ensures that students get on the right bus and get off at the right stop.
SMARTER AND SAFER BUS TRANSPORTATION
- Students are issued new school ID cards with an electronic chip SMART sensor
- School busses are equipped with a SMART Tag reader that riders swipe when loading and unloading
- The tablet will display whether the rider is boarding the correct bus or getting off at the right stop
- Parents and guardians can sign up for SMART Alerts via text to notify them that their child boarded the bus or exited at the correct stop
- Access to the Parent Portal allows you to view a real time map with GPS tracking
Have Questions? Contact Alief ISD Transportation Services: (281) 983-8400
If your student lost their SMART Tag, there is a $5 replacement fee. Please place the money in a sealed envelope with your students' name when sending it to school.
Student Pick Up
- Car Rider (all cars must have a car rider tag)
- Bus Riders (all students should have a SMART ID Tag when boarding and unboarding the bus).
If you need to change your child's mode of transportation for dismissal, this must occur before 2:30 PM.
Early Dismissal Must be Done before 2:30 PM
Parents, for the safety of all students, the last time to pick up your student early each day is before 2:30 pm. Change of transportation must also be completed before this time.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Car Rider Reminder
Our dedicated staff members actively supervise students until the last student is picked up.
Thank you for your assistance in creating a safe environment for everyone.