SEPTEMBER 8, 2015
I hope everyone enjoyed their Labor Day Weekend!
The Southside News...is a parent newsletter sent out bi-monthly to help keep the parents of Southside informed and up-to-date.
If you have another email you would like for me to use or you would like to be removed from the Southside News...please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a wonderful rest of the week,
Principal, Southside Elementary
For Southside's 30th Anniversary Arkansas Candids are providing us with this very convenient laminated school calendar! Your child's class picture will be attached.
ARKANSAS CANDIDS ORDER FORM
Class pictures will be taken Wednesday , September 9th. Extra order forms are located in the office. Turn your order forms into your child's teacher.
MONSTER BOOK FAIR
Reading is so much fun you'll get Goosebumps!
Book Fair dates: September 17, 2015 - September 25, 2015
Shopping hours: 8:00 AM-4:00 PM
Special activities: Grandparent Days: September 24th and September 25, 2015
If you are unable to attend the Fair in person, we invite you to visit our online Book Fair at scholastic.com/fair.
Our online Fair is available from September 17, 2015 to September 30, 2015.
Click the 2015-2016 District Calendar bar to view the new Cabot Public Schools calendar.
Click the Cabot Public Schools Website bar to take you directly to the District Homepage.
21st- 25th Southside Book Fair
21- PTO Butterbraids Fundraiser Kick-off
24- Grandparent Day (last names A-L)
G/T Open House 6:00-7:00
25- Grandparents Day (last names M-Z)
8- 4H field trip to Ferndale, AR
9- 4H Center to Southside for 4th grade students
13- PTO Skate Night at Joyland Skating Rink 5:00-8:00
19, 20 and 22- P/T Conferences
23- No School
29- G/T 2nd grade field trip- Hot Springs
3- PTO Meeting
5- Muffins for Moms (last names A-L) Media Center 7:30-8:00 a.m.
6- Muffins for Moms (last names M-Z) Media Center 7:30-8:00 a.m.
12- Donuts for Dads (last names A-L) Media Center 7:30-8:00 a.m.
G/T 4th grade field trip-Harding
13- Donuts for Dads (last names A-L) Media Center 7:30-8:00 a.m.
23-27 Thanksgiving Break
8- Cookies with Santa PTO Event 5:30-8:00 p.m.
21-January 1 Winter Break
To receive messages via text, text @sse15-16 to 81010. You can opt out of messages at anytime by replying, 'unsubscribe @sse15-16'.
WHAT IS REMIND AND WHY IS IT SAFE?
Remind is a free, safe, and simple messaging tool that helps teachers share important updates and reminders with students & parents. Subscribe by text, email or using the Remind app. All personal information is kept private. Teachers will never see your phone number, nor will you see theirs. Visit remind.com to learn more
ARKANSAS LAWS IN THE CAR RIDER LINE
Safety Restraints and Seat Belts:
- Children are required to ride in an appropriate child safety restraint until they are at least 6 years of age or 60 pounds.
- All children under 15 years of age must be buckled no matter where they are in the vehicle.
- The Primary Seat Belt Law requires drivers and front seat passengers to be buckled up at all times.
Cell Phone Use:
- Drivers 18 to 20 are banned from handheld cell phone use. Novice drivers in Arkansas - drivers younger than 18 – are banned from all cell phone use while driving (handheld and hands-free).
- All drivers are banned from sending text messages while driving, except in emergencies. Law enforcement officers, firefighters, ambulance drivers and emergency medical technicians are also exempt.
- Act 27-51-1609 states “…a driver of a motor vehicle shall not use a handheld wireless telephone while operating a motor vehicle when passing a school building or school zone during hours when children are present and outside the building.”
Other laws that apply to children:
- Act 811 states that it is illegal to smoke in the car with a child who is less than 14 years old.
- No smoking on any school campus which includes the car rider line.
Please help keep our students safe!
CABOT SCHOOLS APP!
Cabot Public Schools is proud to debut its new mobile app.
The app gives parents, students, staff and patrons direct and immediate access to school news, notifications, student info, resources and much more!
All this information is available in one place and right at your fingertips. It’s also free and just a single download away.
The free official Cabot Public Schools app is available right now in the App Store for iPhones and on Google Play for Android users.
If you have an iPhone, to get started visit the App Store and search for Cabot Public Schools or Cabot School District. Once you find it, just click on it to download the app to your phone.
If you have an Android phone, you’ll go to Google Play, and again either search Cabot Public Schools or Cabot School District and download it to your phone.
Once it’s downloaded, you’ll want to explore all the features available. It’s a great place to stay connected.
• Keep up-to-date on the district’s top news stories
• Customize your app to follow and get notifications from the district and/or school(s) of your choice
• Calendar of school events
• Find contact and staff information on each school and departments
• Access student information, grades, upcoming assignments, and cafeteria balances
• If you’re new to the district, find your school and your student’s bus route
• Lunch menus
• Pay cafeteria balances
• Resources for students, parents, faculty and staff
• Provide feedback, suggestions or contact the superintendent
Our new Cabot Public Schools app also automatically translates all this information into more than 50 languages. All you have to do is go to the Settings Icon and select your preferred language.
If you’re not able to download the app, don’t worry. We'll still continue distributing all our information just like we have before through social media, phone calls, texts, emails, website, school announcements, and newsletters. This new app is just another tool to help us connect with you.
*We encourage you to always follow the district (Cabot Public Schools) to keep up-to-date on important information.
BOX TOPS MAKE A "PAW"SITIVE DIFFERENCE AT SOUTHSIDE
Remember to collect those BOX TOPS over the summer to help your upcoming class win some cool prizes!