The Seahawks Call
Week of August 30, 2021 volume 2
Student Schedules are now LIVE!
StudentVUE and ParentVUE are now LIVE so students' schedules can be accessed. Please understand all courses are final. A request to change courses can be made via Synergy email (ParentVUE email) within the first ten days of school, to the appropriate grade-level counselor, for the following two reasons: scheduling error or inappropriate academic placement. Wanting to change teachers, a Related Arts class, or time of day for classes are not valid reasons for a schedule change request and will be denied.
Reason for Denial on two change requests commonly asked for:
1) Request for Related Arts Change
Students were given the choice for their year-long related arts class only (band, strings, choir, or year-long physical education). The two semester related arts classes are then assigned based on availability and the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requirements for a well-rounded curriculum. Students are unable to change those assigned courses.
2) Request due to not wanting a Proximity Learning Teacher
Due to the nation-wide teacher shortage, CCPS has contracted with Proximity Learning to provide certified teachers to fill vacancies. Many times, schools are able to fill vacancies with Long-term substitutes (LTS), but LTS are becoming scarce as well.
We know that students learn through many different modalities and we understand that virtual learning was challenging for some while others flourished with this opportunity for learning. We plan to monitor our proximity learning classes to ensure the success of all students. If students are meeting challenges, we will move forward with our process for supporting the student, teacher, and family.
Thank you in advance for your understanding.
Bus Transportation Information may have changed. Check School Locator!
Again, it is imperative that you check your child's bus information using school locator so you have the most up-to-date information.
We want to ensure our students' FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL is their BEST DAY EVER!
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures for Car and Bus Riders
Laptop Distribution and School Expectations
All students will be required to use their school-issued laptop. We were successful with distributing hundreds of laptops during New Student Orientations. Any students who do NOT have their laptop will be issued one throughout the first week of school.
Students are required to bring their laptops fully charged everyday they report to school. Students will be able to leave their laptop in their locker unless their teacher has told them to bring it to class.
It is imperative that students update their laptops and charge them fully before they return to school tomorrow on Monday, August 30th. Please follow these instructions so your laptop will be ready to go:
- Type 'check for updates' or 'windows updates' in the search bar at the bottom of the home screen, then click open.
- Once opened, click on 'check for updates' to install the latest windows updates.
CCPS COVID-19 Pre-Screening Questionnaire for Students - MUST BE DONE DAILY!
We need your help to check your child’s health each morning before they enter school. By sending your child to the school, you indicate you have screened your child, and he/she is not a potential positive COVID-19 case.
A child who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the past ten days, who is suffering from an upper or lower respiratory illness, or had close contact with an ill person who has tested positive for COVID-19 should stay home. “COVID exposure” is defined as being within six feet of a positive person for more than 15 minutes during a 24 hour period.
Close contact would also include sharing a drink or utensils, kissing, hugging, or a sick person coughing or sneezing directly on you. People with COVID-19 have reported a wide range of symptoms. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), children with the below symptoms may have COVID-19.
The most common symptom of COVID 19 for school aged children is a fever and cough. If your child displays ANY of the COVID symptoms listed below, your child should stay home and your family medical care provider should be contacted.
- New uncontrollable cough Y/N
- Fever (over 100.4) or higher Y/N
- New onset of severe headache, especially with a fever Y/N
- Sore throat Y/N
- Difficulty breathing Y/N
- Nausea or vomiting Y/N
- Diarrhea Y/N
- New loss or change in your ability to taste or smell Y/N
- We will ask parents to remove any child from the center and school building within 60 minutes if they become ill.
- If your child presents symptoms associated with COVID-19, please contact your family medical provider immediately.
- If your child tests positive for COVID-19 and they have been to school within the four days before the test or displaying symptoms, please contact the school immediately.
- Students may not return to school for at least 24 hours after they no longer have a fever or other symptoms without the use of medicines.
- Parents who knowingly send students suffering from any of the COVID-19 symptoms are jeopardizing other students health.
- Students sent home by the nurse with COVID symptom may not return to in-person instruction unless they are symptom free without symptom- treating medication for the initial day, plus 48 hours.
- CCPS, in partnership with the Charles County Department of Health, has purchased re-usable thermometers. Each household can receive up to two thermometers per student. If you need a thermometer, please contact your school.
Matthew Newcamp - 6th Grade VP - firstname.lastname@example.org
Marlon Walker - 7th Grade VP - email@example.com
Cynthia Panizzi - 8th Grade VP - firstname.lastname@example.org
Zachary Ortolano - email@example.com
Mike Simms - 6th Grade Counselor - firstname.lastname@example.org
John Craddock- 7th Grade Counselor - email@example.com
Nancy Franklin - 8th Grade Counselor - firstname.lastname@example.org
INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP TEAM
Andrea Johnson - Reading Resource Teacher (Reading) - email@example.com
Jennifer Branham - Instructional Resource Teacher (Math) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Suzanne Johnson - Learning Resource Teacher (Gifted Education and Testing Coordinator) - email@example.com