Charles Ellis Montessori Academy, March 1, 2021
Great Minds Think Alike
March 1-3- Cohort A In-Person Instructional Days (Cohort B- Virtual Instructional Days)
March 4- Pre-K Lottery Application Window Closes
March 4-5- Cohort B In-Person Instructional Days (Cohort A- Virtual Instructional Days)
March 8- Choice Program Lottery
March 12- End of Third Nine-Week Period
March 17- St. Patrick's Day- No School!
March 29-April 2- Spring Break!
Hybrid Learning Reminders
- Please place the name of your student(s) on the passenger side dashboard for morning arrival and afternoon dismissal.
- All vehicle occupants should wear masks at arrival and dismissal.
- The arrival COVID-19 assessment is on 48th Street from 7:15a.m.-7:45a.m. If you arrive later, you will need to walk your student(s) up to the front door to sign the tardy sheet and place the wrist band on your student(s) after COVID-19 assessment.
- Dismissal for car riders. Cars must travel westward from Reynolds to Habersham. Battey Avenue will not be used as an access route.
- Items cannot be dropped-off for students.
- All students returning to our school building are required to have the COVID-19 Screening Questions for Students completed and submitted by you each morning on the days they are reporting to the building.
Please use this link or the QR Code below and save this for easy accessibility each day. Siblings can be placed on one questionnaire.
Hybrid Learning Device Distribution
Update: By now, all students returning to the building for in-person learning should have a SCCPSS device assigned to them.
If your student was just assigned a device last week upon their return to the building, please sign and return the "Student Technology Loan Form" as soon as possible.
This paperwork must be on file even if the device is being left at school (Please note: Leaving the device at school must be approved by the classroom teacher on a case by case basis due to Covid safety protocols. Not all classrooms have the storage/charging capacity to approve this request.). Even if your student's device is left at school, it is recommended that you still purchase the Technology Protection Plan provided by the SCCPSS District as accidents can happen at school just as they can at home.
If you have already received a device from the District and you plan on purchasing the Technology Protection Plan provided by the District, please pay for that through School Cash Online and send the signed paperwork to school with your student or email it to Ms. Lisa.
If you have any questions, email Ms. Lisa (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Limited Supply of Chromebook Cases Available
Because of the limited supply, these cases are available by request only on a first come, first served basis.
If you are interested in receiving one of these cases, please contact Ms. Lisa (email@example.com).
Library Book Collection
Call for Donations
One of our own families had a house fire this week, unfortunately making for a total loss. Thanks to the American Red Cross and the family's church, this student and their family are safe and being offered immediate support as well as a place to rest their heads. As their school family, if you would like to donate to help them during this time, you may do so in the following ways:
- Cash (given directly to Ms. Rebecca)
- Gift cards to Target, Walmart, or a grocery store (given directly to Ms. Rebecca)
- Venmo @Kirsten-Leske with the note "Ellis family" (last four digits of her phone number are 9739)
Our School Needs You!
If you have been looking for a way to be more active in our school community, now is your opportunity! Our PTA Executive Leadership Board's term is complete at the end of this school year, and we need new volunteers to step up and take the helm. We are seeking nominations for 2 Co-Presidents.
The Charles Ellis PTA organizes and raises funds to provide fun and support for our school community. Fall Festival? That's PTA. Valentine's Day Treat Bags for Teachers? That's PTA. Substantial grants for Teacher Wish Lists? PTA. Shade Trees on the playground? PTA. Classroom Air Purifiers and replacement HEPA filters. PTA provided those. Bobcat Fun Run / Dance A Thon. Most definitely PTA.
Board members serve a two-year term. After several successful years of having co-presidents, the current board can tell you that many hands make light work, and that having a partner in crime is more fun.
If you would like to nominate yourself and/or a friend, please email the Nominating Committee Chair Sarah Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org.
PTA Nominating Committee:
Mary Britton Senseney
SCCPSS Pre-K Lottery
SCCPSS Pre-K Website (including application, registration information, and more)
Pre-K applications for the 2021-2022 school year will be available from February 16 to March 4, 2021. When completing the application, be prepared to submit your child's birth certificate and proof of address in the application. Lottery notifications will be sent on April 7, 2021.
To participate in the Pre-K Program, children must be four years of age* on or before September 1, 2021, and must be a resident of Chatham County.
* Five-year-old children who have not previously attended the Pre-K program and who have developmental delays that impact their readiness for school may also enroll at the request of their parents. A Parent Acknowledgement form must be completed during registration.
For additional information, please email: email@example.com
The School Counseling Department is happy to partner with The Collegiate Church of St. Paul the Apostle to provide our Backpack Buddies food program once again. If your child or someone you know could benefit from a bag of food for the weekends, please contact Ms. Rebecca, our school counselor.
Ms. Rebecca is here to listen should your child need any school support socially, emotionally, or academically. Message her on ItsLearning or visit the School Counseling Website to view interactive relaxation activities, pre-recorded read-alouds, and more resources.
Ms. Rebecca, School Counselor
or you can message me on ItsLearning
School-Wide Grace & Courtesy Focus
The Language for Identifying/Naming the Qualities of Peace from the "Self- Awakened Child" series by Jonathan Wolff:
- When I feel calm and quiet inside, when I do not let anyone or anything take away my calmness and quiet, I am feeling and being Peaceful.
- When I try to understand another person's feelings and thoughts, when I talk with him about our problems instead of hurting him or hitting him, I am being Peaceful.
- When I feel angry or scared and I help myself feel calm and quiet inside instead of hurting someone or telling someone to go away, I am practicing Peacefulness.
SCCPSS MAP Assessment Update
Update from the SCCPSS District:
Due to the potential changes in our instructional virtual/in-person delivery model, the decision was made to eliminate MAP Reading and Math Readiness Assessment. This assessment is scheduled to occur March 1 through March 26, and we felt with the fluctuations in dealing with the pandemic this time period would be better served on student instructional delivery. Schools will use their local assessment tools to measure student achievement and provide support services.
Device Grace & Courtesy
Please do not allow them to add stickers to, draw on, or carve into the device. Also, please do not allow your child to eat or drink around these devices as liquid and crumbs can cause major issues with how they function.
These devices are property of SCCPSS and they should be treated as any other borrowed material by taking care of it as you would want your own things taken care of. Thank you for your help with this practical life skill.
itsLearning Parent Portal
The District sent out emails to parents on how to login to the new itsLearning Parent Portal on Monday, February 1st.
Click the links below to view information from SCCPSS about the upcoming release of the itsLearning Parent Portal.
Is Your Student's Chromebook Running Slow?
Here are a couple of things that you/your student can do on a regular basis to improve the Chromebooks performance.
Join the Ellis PTA and Support Our Community!
Please consider joining the PTA to support our Ellis community. Membership is only $7/person.
So far this school year, the PTA has done the following:
- Held a school supply drive for our Ellis families
- Funded the purchase of individual Montessori materials for our Primary students
- Sponsored teachers to attend an Anti-Racist, Anti-Bias Teaching in the Montessori Classroom seminar.
- Organized the Fall Festival Parade
- Organized the PTA Reflections contest
- Accepted teacher grant applications
- Funded improvements to the playground and multi-purpose room
- Sponsored the Read-A-Thon
- Organized the Angel Tree for families in our Ellis community
- Donated non-perishable food items to Emmaus House
- Purchased Medify HEPA Air Purifier/replacement filters for classrooms
- Supplied Nurse Chris with needed health and wellness supplies
- And so much more!
The PTA cannot do all this without your help and support. The easiest way to show your support is simply by joining the Ellis PTA.
Visit the PTA Website.
Ms. Ja'Dayia Coleman-Kennedy
Information Specialist Clerk
Ms. Lucy Holloway
Ms. Patricia Solomon-Brown