On Wings of Excellence
Dear Andrews Family
It was such a pleasure to see our students, families, and staff as they returned from winter break! Additionally, it is a delight to welcome our new families to Andrews, many of whom are reading Andrews E-news for the first time. Our attention is already focused on the academic rigor of our second semester curriculum, and I look forward to all that this spring 2016 semester holds. We are off to a great start!
I am thrilled to announce that our new Assistant Principal has arrived! You might remember that we had a temporary Assistant Principal during the last weeks of first semester while we waited for Board approval and for the transition to take place. Now, I am finally able to introduce you to Ms. Jana Sandall. She comes to us from Rice Middle School where she served as a teacher in the Special Education department. Besides her several years of teaching experience, Ms. Sandall also held the role of Assistant Principal at Rasor Elementary School here in Plano I.S.D. I look forward to Ms. Sandall's contributions as an important member of our Andrews staff. Thank you in advance for helping her to feel welcome!
We appreciate the ongoing support of our Andrews families and fully know that this partnership contributes to the excellence of education for our students. We hope that you enjoy a wonderful weekend!
Joy Lovell, Principal
Monday, January 11th - Friday, January 15th
- College Week
Tuesday, January 12th
- Geography Bee - 8:00 a.m. (gym)
Wednesday, January 13th
- Science Fair Projects Due
Thursday, January 14th
- Science Fair Open House - 4-6 p.m. (library)
- PTA Science Night - 6:00 p.m. (gym)
Monday, January 18th
- NO SCHOOL - Student/Teacher Holiday
Tuesday, January 19th
- After-School Tutoring Resumes
- 5th Grade visits Rice MS
- PTA Spirit Night at Chipotle with the Specials team
Thursday, January 21st
- MLK Tribute at 7:00 PM - Williams H.S. Auditorium
After School Programs/Rehearsals
The PTA is happy to offer six after-school programs to Andrews students. Classes fill up, so don’t delay in registering. Please go to www.andrewspta.org and click on the SHOP button at the top of the page to sign up.
As of 2016, Andrews PTA after-school programs will require a parent volunteer to be present as an added safety measure. If programs are unable to secure volunteers each week, the program will not be offered. Please keep this in mind as you sign your child up for these enrichment programs.
· CraniaLogix – Starting Jan. 14, CraniaLogix is offering a special semester-long program for grades 2nd-5th called Think 2. The program focuses on creative thinking, logical thinking and higher order thinking ... all critical for student success. Offered Thursdays from 2:45-4 p.m. To register, visit http://www.cranialogix.com/resources and fill out the Andrews online form.
· Drama Kids is an award-winning educational speech and drama program that meets Wednesdays for one hour after school at Andrews Elementary. The program is a total of 28 weeks and runs Sept. 23-May 25 and ends with a Spring performance. Registration is through Drama Kids website.
· Coding – Register by Jan. 10, for Coding for 3rd-5th graders. UT Dallas Animations use MIT Scratch to provide a graphical drag-and-drop interface to learn programming and logic without worrying about syntax errors. Students learn to do 2D animations of objects, and upon completing Scratch, will be able to design and implement simple computer games on their own. After mastering Scratch, students can proceed to learn Alice, a 3D animation tool to teach programming. Classes offered on Tuesdays. Register at bit.ly/utd-coding-clubs.
· Chess Program –The instructor will determine participant levels. Beginner and Intermediate will meet on Tuesdays. Advanced players will meet on Thursdays. Enrollment is limited and on a first-come, first-served basis. Click here for registration form.
· Mad Science– Mad Science After School Learning Labs focus on hands-on, fun learning sessions that reinforce your child’s foundations in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) once a week either on Monday or Tuesday.
· Young Rembrandts Drawing Class – The winter classes are full of whimsy. New drawings based on relevant, child-friendly subjects open the imagination and teach a ton of technique. Spring classes are full of action through cartooning or elementary drawing. Classes are Thursdays, for grades K-1, and Fridays, for 2nd-5th. To enroll online go to: www.youngrembrandts.com/north-dallas.
Monday, January 11th
- NTCC Rehearsal
Tuesday, January 12th
- Beginning and Intermediate Chess
- Coding Club
Wednesday, January 13th:
- Math Olympiads
Thursday, January 14th
- Advanced Chess
Friday, January 15th
Chipotle to donate 50% of sales on Tuesday, Jan. 19th from 5-8!!!
The next Andrews spirit event will take place at Chipotle, 103 Central Expy, Allen, TX 75013. Stop by on Tuesday, Jan. 19th between the hours of 5-8 p.m. for a delicious dinner, and Chipotle will donate 50% of the proceeds to Andrews PTA.
2014-2015 School Report Card
The State of Texas 2014-2015 School Report Card for Andrews Elementary has now been released, and posted to the Andrews website - http://k12.pisd.edu/andrews-elementary-school/tapr.
This is a report required by the Texas Legislature and prepared by the Texas Education Agency. The report provides information concerning student performance on the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR), as well as information on student enrollment, class size averages, and financial expenditures. The information contained in the School Report Card is required by state law and is briefly described in the “School Report Card Definitions.”
If you have any questions concerning the School Report Card, please let us know. Thank you for your continued support of Andrews Elementary.
Science & Engineering Fair - Wednesday, Jan. 13th
It is time once again to prepare for Andrews Elementary Science and Engineering Fair. Though participation in this annual event is voluntary, we want to encourage interested students to take advantage of this opportunity to exhibit their knowledge.
Please complete and return the form sent home through your classroom teacher to receive the Science and Engineering Fair Student Handbook. This book has specific information about rules governing the judging of projects.
SONS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION POSTER CONTEST - 5th Grade
RICE MIDDLE SCHOOL 2016-2017 PARENT INFO NIGHT
Please mark your calendars for the 5th to 6th Grade Parent Night in the Rice Middle School Cafeteria on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 from 6:00pm-7:00pm. Please contact Rice MS 2016-2017 6th Grade Counselor, Susan Barshop, at email@example.com for questions.
Do you have photos of your child taken at school that you can share with the Yearbook? Here’s how to upload the photos:
1. Go to this website: onlineyearbooks.lifetouch.com
2. User: firstname.lastname@example.org; Password: eagles
3. Go to Image Upload and find the “correct” folder to upload in. For example, if you are uploading first grade photos, then select that folder.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
- For students who walk home - Please encourage your children to directly head home after school due to NO adult supervision.
- Students should be walking bikes/scooters upon arrival on school property during BOTH arrival and dismissal times. Thank you!
- If you are in the building during a lockdown drill, please enter the closest room, close the door, turn the lights off and remain out of sight.
- During a fire drill, please exit the building (200 feet away from building) until further notice.
- When coming to obtain your child from school during an emergency, please remember to bring a form of identification for verification purposes (e.g. Driver's License, Dismissal Cards/Tags with child's name, etc.).