Weekly updates for our Collins families.
February 6th, 2022
To view this newsletter in a different language, click on the
Translate Newsletter button located in the black box or black circle to the right of your screen.
Para ver este boletín en un idioma diferente, haga clic en el botón
Traducir Boletín ubicado en el cuadro negro o circulo negro en la parte derecha de pantalla.
2/8-2/10: 5th Grade Maturation/Puberty Workshop
2/16: Spring photos
***2/17: Updated: Collins Parent Committee Meeting 5:30PM
2/18: Early Release
2/21: No School
Collins Shirts & Gear!!
Shop at the link below. Shop quick! Items are limited and the sale closes soon!
Sale ends February 15th.
Items are delivered 6 weeks after shop closing to home address.
Our campus receives a profit of the sales (pending 60 items sold).
Pre-K and Kinder Registration for 21-22 Now Open!
Valentine Gram Sale
This week, students will be able to purchase a candy gram from our Roo Buddies and send a special note and treat to a friend. Candy grams will be on sale each morning for $1. Students need to know the name of their friend and grade level (preferably the student's teacher as well). Candy grams will be delivered each afternoon.
Car Pick Up
Gifted & Talented Spring Nomination Phase
February 1st – 11th , 2022
A student may be nominated by a parent, teacher, counselor, other staff member, or
himself/herself. To nominate a student, the person nominating will complete the nomination
form that provides anecdotal answers to various questions. This form can be filled out online,
and will be turned in to the Christine Womack.
Below is a list of characteristics of gifted learners in comparison to bright or high achieving
students. If, after reviewing this information, you believe your student more closely aligns with
the gifted learners and would like to nominate your student a nomination questionnaire can be provided.
Newton Collins G/T coordinator is Christine.Womack@dvisd.net.
Deadlines for nomination are February 11, 2022.
Collins Library Update
Accelerated Reader At Home
Our campus goal is for students to earn 1,000 Accelerated Reader (AR) points before the end of this school year. Help us reach this goal by encouraging your student to read at home and take AR quizzes once they finish reading their books. They earn points for every AR quiz they pass.
Homeroom classes with the most points each 9 weeks will earn a library party, and students who have the most individual points each week will win a prize from our library!
Here’s how to access AR from home.
- Log into Classlink (launchpad.classlink.com/dvisd). (Your child should know how to log into Classlink. If not, please contact your child’s teacher for Classlink login information.)
- Click on the Renaissance button.
- Click on the orange Accelerated Reader button.
- In the search bar, type the title of the book your child has read.
- Once you find the book, click on the “Take Quiz” button underneath the book title information to start the quiz.
- Your child will receive their quiz score after completing it.
Frequently asked questions about AR:
Can my child look at the book while taking an AR quiz? Yes. We encourage students to go back and read texts multiple times in order to better understand a story.
Can I take the quiz with my child? While you can read the book aloud to your child, your child should take the AR quiz independently. There are options for the quiz to be read aloud to your child if needed.
When can my child take AR quizzes? Any time! They can take them at school, in the evening after school, and on weekends.
Please contact Newton Collins Librarian, Amy Gonzalez, at (512) 386-3914 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Do you need more online reading resources for your child? Click here for more information!
Substitute Teacher Opportunities at Collins!
Whether you are simply looking for a flexible, part-time job or are seeking teaching experience at the beginning of your full-time teaching career, substitute teaching is a rewarding job with many benefits.
If you have a day available each week or each month, we can use you as a substitute!
Apply today to substitute on our campus!
NCES Wish Lists
Collins Supplies for Classrooms & Roo Bucks Store https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1OUWMA816DOV?ref_=wl_share
Please make sure you have your student's car tag displayed in your dashboard at pickup. If you need an additional car tag, please visit our front office and present your ID to be issued a new one.
- If you are going to change how your child goes home, please communicate this with the front office by 2:00PM
- If you are going to pick your child up from school before dismissal, please pick them up no later than 2:30PM. To ensure the safety of our students and that everyone gets home, we will not pull students from classrooms after 2:30PM.
- Parents are prohibited from pulling a student off the bus at dismissal.
- Students will be released during the school day only to persons listed in Skyward.