Prader Willi Syndrome
What is Prader Willi Sydrome?
- Poor muscle tone
- Almond eyes, narrow head, turned mouth
- Cannot get nutrients as well as an infant, causing some weight gain over time
- Issues with eye coordination
- unusually bodily functions, such as tiredness
- Increased weight gain
- food cravings
- underdeveloped sex organs
- stunted growth, and development of the body
- mental disabilities
It is inherited/caused by the genes of the parents by either, errors in chromosome 15 in the parent, one of the parents having 2 chromosome 15 genes and the other lacking the genetic information, etc.
It is recessive
- Blood test
- Fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) only Prader-Willi caused by deletion
- Uniparental disomy (UPD) for Prader-Willi caused by an imprinting error
It is one of the more common genetic diseases related to obesity.