MEMS Principal's Update
Fall / Winter23
Thankful for a wonderful start to the 23-24 school year
As the holiday season begins to ramp up and the weather starts to feel more fall like it seems as if we have really settled into the school year. November is a month where we typically think about all we have to be thankful for. It is also a time we often reflect our our national, local, and personal traditions. At MEMS we have many great enduring traditions for which I am exceedingly thankful. I am thankful for our tradition of academic excellence. Even more importantly I am thankful for our strong sense of community.
As school was closed on November 11th our NJHS organized our second annual Veterans Parade on the 8th in early recognition of Veterans' Day. To all those who have served our country, we thank you sincerely for your service.
With all this in mind, let me be the first to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving. Hopefully it is spent with family and friends and the time together affords everyone time to truly be thankful.
MERS NJSLA 2023 District Results
At the last Board of Education meeting conducted on October 17th, Mrs. Pepchinski and district supervisors for English Language Arts (Mr. Kurt Abel), mathematics (Ms. MaryJo Mikhail), and science (Mrs. Margaret Scuteri) presented the district's New Jersey Student Learning Assessment (NJSLA) district results from the Spring 2023 administration.
Parent-Teacher Conferences are an important method for supporting student progress and maintaining direct communication. These conferences afford us the opportunity to work together and share information in order to better understand and help your child. You are cordially invited to attend a conference with your child's teachers on the following days:
Monday, December 4, 2023 (1:00 p.m. to 7:20 p.m.- IN PERSON SLOTS ONLY)
Tuesday, December 5, 2023 (12:45 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.- VIRTUAL SLOTS ONLY)
● Please note that on Monday, December 4th School is closed for students.
● Please note that on Tuesday, December 5th students have a four-hour school day. Lunch will not be served.
This year, conference appointments will be scheduled electronically using the Genesis Parent Portal beginning November 17th AFTER 3:00 p.m. when the portal re-opens for this purpose.
● All teacher conferences will be scheduled through Genesis.
● Resource teachers are to be scheduled separately from the general education teacher.
● Please select a conference date and time from the list of available times for the teacher you wish to conference with.
● Please note that the Child Study Team and School Counselors will be available for conferences on both December 4th and December 5th. Please email them at their district e-mail address to schedule a conference.
Do you know a MEMS classroom teacher or educational services professional who is dedicated, inspiring, and making a difference in the lives of all students? If so, please take the time to recommend this person by completing this nomination form and submit it by November 18th.
- November 13th - Winter Sports Tryouts Begin
- November 22nd- 4 hour Day
- November 22nd - Marking Period 1 Report Cards Post
- November 23rd and 24th- No School for Thanksgiving Break
- December 4th and 5th- Parent Conferences
- December 22nd- 4 Hour Day
- December 25th- January 1- Winter Break
- January 2- School Resumes
Halloween / Spook-tacular time at our first Zombie Run and Trunk or Treat
Creating Carnevale in our Italian classes
The Booster Club provides a bridge for parents and teachers to align efforts maximizing each child's experience. Our fundraising efforts enable a wide variety of educational and social enhancements for MEMS families. We always strive to deliver the best events and activities for our children. With your help and support we will meet our goals.