January 5, 2016
Greetings from the Principal
Dear Riverview families,
Welcome back to students entering our spring semester! Returning from a break is always bittersweet; leaving the comforts of home and family time can be a trying transition, yet the anticipation of new learning and student growth always seem to dissolve any misgivings of a longer rest. I find the second semester to be even more exciting than the start of the school year. I hope you, too, will be impressed by students maturing (and getting taller!), deepening their understanding of where they fit into the world as responsible citizens, and engaging in more enriching texts and conversations.
Riverview staff will continue to focus on our two school improvement goals, aimed at improving student achievement and college and career readiness. These goals are also consistent topics of discussion and review at Site Council meetings:
1. Literacy: Through writing and descriptive feedback, in all curricular areas, students will build critical thinking skills, learn content material more effectively, and communicate their knowledge.
2. Technology Integration: Through the integration of technology, students will become more self-directed through problem-solving, discovery, creation, collaboration, and communication beyond the classroom.
Riverview teachers are continuing to fine-tune grade reporting methods on the district's newly implemented standards-based grade cards. As we continue to work through our new grading system and review assessment best practices, after grades are posted this Friday, January 8, please contact your student's classroom teacher with any questions you may have. On behalf of Riverview educators, we appreciate your support and feedback in our endeavor to make report cards as meaningful as possible.
I look forward to the promise of another exciting semester.
Make it a great week!
Part Time Substitute Paraeducator Position...
The USD 232 Special Services team is looking for individuals interested in working as a substitute paraeducator. If you have a high school degree or equivalent GED and enjoy supporting students so to achieve high levels of learning, we would welcome the opportunity to speak with you. If interested, please visit our website at www.usd232.org and complete our electronic application for the substitute paraeducator position.
- Tuesday 5th, - Start of 3rd Quarter
- Friday, 8th - Spelling Bee 9:30 Am.
- Friday, 8th - Grades posted to Skyward in the afternoon.
- Friday, 15th - PTA Guys & Dolls Dance 6:30-8:00 pm
- Monday 18th, - No School - Building Closed
- Thursday 28th - 1st Grade Music Program 6:30 PM
- Wednesday, 3rd, - All Pro Dads Breakfast 7:30 AM
- Thursday, 4th, - 2nd Grade Music Program 6:30 PM
- Wednesday, 10th, - Kindergarten ONLY - No School- Parent Teacher Conferences Grades 1-5 in Session Parent Teacher Conferences 4:15 PM - 8:15 PM
- Thursday, 11th, - No School - Parent Teacher Conferences
- Friday, 12th, - No School - Building Closed
- Monday, 15th, - No School - Building Closed
Don’t forget to check out the USD 232 Electronic Flyers webpage for information on events and programs offered by outside agencies. http://www.usd232.org/pages/DeSotoUSD232/DistrictInfo/forms_documents/Electronic_Flyers
Riverview Elementary PTA
Welcome back Riverview! RE PTA hopes everyone had a fun and restful Winter Break!
Now, back to business!
*Riverview Reading Program
Our next "Reading Day" will be January 19th. Please remember to submit your child's reading minutes for December . You can find the link based on your child’s grade to enter your child’s information on the PTA website by clicking HERE .
Remember to enter your child's time monthly. Entries are due by January 12. We will be rewarding the class with the highest total at each grade level for first semester.
*Reflections entries are due January 6th! We had a great number of students interested in this program and we can’t wait to see what students turn in this week! Questions? Contact email@example.com.
*Girls of Riverview! This week is your last chance to get signed up for the Guys & Dolls Dance. The dance is January 15, 2016, 6:30 - 8:00 pm in the Cafeteria. $10/couple; $5 for each additional child. A reminder flyer is in today's Monday Folder. Payment and forms are due FRIDAY, January 8th. Make checks payable to Riverview PTA. Music, dessert bar and refreshments included. For more information or to help with the event, please contact RE PTA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Don’t worry boys of Riverview! An event for you is in the planning stages. Stay tuned for more information!
*Don't forget! RE PTA Caring & Sharing Committee will be collecting gently used toys January 11-15 for Give What You Got for donation to children in foster care in the Kansas City area.
*RE PTA Staff Appreciation had a fantastic response and the teachers absolutely appreciated it and loved the gift cards. Thank you!
1/6 Reflections Entries Due
1/15 Guys & Dolls Dance
1/19 Reading Day
2/3 All Pro Dads Meeting