Athens High School
SENIOR NEWSLETTER & OPPORTUNITY BULLETIN
The Countdown Is On
The countdown in on (as if you weren't already counting the days)! Only 7 weeks to graduation. Whether that gives you heart palpitations (me), makes you fearful, excited and/or sad, there are so many things that need and will take place before that happens.
Here is a list of some of those things that need to be take place before graduation:
- FINISH STRONG- Don't lose sight of your grades and attendance. You must pass those required classes to be able to participate in graduation. Attending class and completing assignments help to make that happen.
- PAY FEES- Pay any outstanding fees. If you have not paid your fees by graduation, you will not be able to receive your actual diploma. See Mrs. Patton, assistant principal, if you have questions or need to pay fees.
- SEND INVITATIONS- If you ordered announcements from Balfour, you will receive those on April 9th following the panoramic picture/senior meeting. Invitations need to be sent up to 6 weeks before graduation especially for those traveling a great distance to come.
- BE IN THE KNOW- Don't miss out on important information. Several dates are listed below. Make sure to put those on your calendar and share them with your family.
- COMPLETE FORMS- You will be receiving forms during the senior meeting on April 9th. Those must be completed and returned to Guidance by Monday, April 22nd.
Calling All Artists- DEADLINE extended
Anyone interested in submitting art to be considered for the program cover for Awards Day and Graduation must do so by April 22, 2019. These programs will be keepsakes for years to come- what a great way to leave your mark at AHS!
Criteria For Design
Must be original artwork (no clip art)
Must be a detailed drawing
Must include the eagle and graduation year
Draw on 1/2 sheet of paper (8 1/2 x 11 folded in half)
Drawing must be appropriate size
^^^^^^ College Award Letters 101 ^^^^^^
By now, you should start receiving financial aid award letters from those schools where you have been accepted. All financial aid letter should go out by April. A letter may include grants, scholarships and work-study programs, along with eligibility for federal student loans.
Award letter templates can vary, so make sure you carefully review each letter as you compare financial aid packages from different schools. Some schools will ask you to accept or reject each source of financial aid you are eligible to receive. If you reject a certain source of aid in your award letter, that does not mean another source of aid will increase.
To determine which financial aid package best meets your needs, you may want to compare the financial aid from each school by using the document linked below.
Don't forget to accept or deny college scholarships by the deadline- most of those are May 1st.
Important Upcoming Dates
Senior Panorama Photo & Senior Meeting & Balfour Announcements
Tuesday, April 9th, 11am
AHS Competition Gymnasium
AHS PROM @ The Round House, Huntsville
Saturday, April 13th, 7:30-11:30pm
398 Monroe Street Northwest
Monday, April 15th, 11:15am to Thursday, April 18th, 12:15pm
Balfour-makeup day to pick up announcements
Tuesday, April 23rd, 11:15am
Passing out of Cap & Gown
Monday, May 6th, 11:15am
Senior Awards Day Practice
Wednesday, May 15th, 9:30am
AHS Competition Gym
Thursday, May 23rd, 10am
AHS Football Stadium
Class of 2019 Graduation
Thursday, May 23rd, 7pm
AHS Football Stadium
Check out CampusReel - it has 10,000+ student-made videos that show dorm rooms, dining halls, classrooms and more on college campuses. It's the closest replacement for an in-person visit.
How to Order a Cap & Gown
By now, you need to have ordered your cap & gown. If you have not, you will have to order online. The cost at this point has increased. If you only would like to order a cap and gown, you can do it HERE (www.balfoursrc.com). Click on "Make a Payment" > click on "Athens High School" > fill out all of the information including height & weight > pay the $76.30 for the cap and gown plus a convenience fee for using a credit or debit card.
If you would like to order OTHER senior stuff (announcements, gear, etc.) plus your cap and gown, you need to click HERE (www.balfour.com). Search "Athens High School" and follow directions from there.If you have any further questions, you can contact our Balfour representatives at (423) 265-2060.
How to order a transcript... PARCHMENT
Athens High School has now partnered with Parchment to order and send your transcripts securely. You received an email in December with a link and code to create an account. You can create an account with or without the code, but registering with the code is much quicker and easier.
You will be able to order a transcript and track the process of your order all online!
Some things you should know:
- For current students, the first 3 orders are free
- After the first three orders, there will be a fee of $5 for each transcript ordered
- Your FINAL transcript upon graduation will be free if ordered by June 30th of your graduation year
- Paper Transcript Requests for current and former students will no longer be accepted
The link to order a transcript is available on the school's main webpage as well as under the Guidance Page> Senior Resources
Need a transcript? Request online through Parchment, linked below.
Below is a great opportunity to give back to our community!
Spring PREVIEW DAYS
Spring Preview Days are a great way to see many facets of a college or university. Go to a school's website to sign up online to participate in their preview day. If you cannot make the preview day, then sign up online for a tour of campus. If the preview day or campus visit takes place on a weekday, make sure to fill out a College Visit form in advance so that absence does not affect your attendance. College Visit forms can be picked up in the attendance office.
BIRMINGHAM SOUTHERN COLLEGE
Friday, April 26th
UNIVERSITY OF WEST ALABAMA
Saturday, April 6th
Saturday, April 6th
Take Advantage of Calhoun's Senior Day!
Troy's World Wide Open House
Going Merry (www.goingmerry.com) is an awesome new scholarship website - it makes applying to scholarship easier! Just click on theis link to get started.
Achieve Alabama helps connect students through the State of Alabama with the school that best fits their needs and with scholarship opportunities that will enable them to pursue their goals and dreams.
All scholarships and special opportunities will be listed here in chronological order. This section will continue to grow throughout the year. Keep an eye out as new information is listed. If you see a scholarship that you are interested in and need an application, those are available in the scholarship box in the Guidance Office.
- Athens Chapter 214 Order of the Eastern Star has a scholarship available in the amount of $500 available to one Athens City or Limestone County student. Applicants must be attending Calhoun Community College in the Fall 2019, have a minimum 2.5 GPA and a ACT score of a 16 or higher. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 9, 2019.
- The Limestone Branch of NAACP Scholarship application is now available to students attending an accredited college in the Fall of 2019. Applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA. Applications and more information are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 12, 2019.
- Dawn Corine Allfrey Scholarship- Specifically for seniors attending UNA. Scholarships available in the Guidance Department. Applications due to the Guidance Department by Friday, April 12, 2019.
- Margie Rose Looney Endowed Scholarship- Specifically for seniors attending UNA pursuing degrees in the College of Business or College of Nursing. Preference will be given to students with a 2.0 GPA or higher and who may not otherwise qualify for financial assistance based upon scholastic merit. Scholarships available in the Guidance Department. Applications due to the Guidance Department by Friday, April 12, 2019.
- The Athens City Educators Great Expectations Scholarship will be awarded to one deserving AHS student. Seniors with a 3.0 GPA or higher and a minimum of a 21 on the ACT are eligible to apply. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline to turn into Mrs. Smith is April 12, 2019.
- The District 8 Alabama Association of Secondary School Principals seeks to award a scholarship to a student with notable leadership, service and acceptance to college. Applications are available in the Guidance Office. Deadline is April 14, 2019.
- Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 511 will offer scholarships to high school seniors residing in Limestone County. Applicants must be a direct descendant of a Vietnam era veteran. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 16, 2019.
- The Jentzen Caleb Risner Superhero Memorial Scholarship was created to honor the memory of Andrew & Lauren Risner’s son, Jentzen Caleb Risner, who lived on this Earth for only 3.5 days. This scholarship exists to honor Jentzen’s memory and to reward students who have fought through life challenges all the while achieving success in high school. Students who have overcome a serious illness or other type of life challenge are encouraged to apply for this scholarship. Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA and plan on attending a 2 or 4 year school. Applications are available in the Guidance Department or in Mr. Risner's room. Deadline is April 18, 2019.
- The North Alabama Educators Credit Union is making available two scholarships- one $1,500 and one $750. Students in Madison, Morgan and Limestone County are eligible. Applicant must have an account with NAECU. Applications are in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 19, 2019.
- The Will Haney Foundation Scholarship will be awarded to two seniors who are planning to attend school to pursue nursing. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is by April 20, 2019.
- The 2019 Student-View Scholarship Program is offering $11,000 worth of scholarships to high school seniors who plan to attend a four-year college, community /junior college or career school. No minimum ACT or GPA or essay. Applications are available at www.student-view.com. Deadline is April 22, 2019.
- The Charles "Chuck" Poland Education Scholarship is a $1,000 scholarship available to students who's parent/guardian is an active pupil transportation employee for the past 3 years. The student must have an overall 3.0 GPA and be attending a post-secondary educational institute in the Fall of 2019. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 26, 2019
- The Mike Cox Memorial Education Scholarship will be two (2) $1,000 scholarships available to students who's parent/guardian is an active pupil transportation employee for the past 3 years. The student must have an overall 3.0 GPA and will be selected on leadership, service and citizenship. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 26, 2019.
- The Alabama School Transportation Association Conference Greg Ray Memorial Education Scholarship is a $2,000 scholarship available to student who's parent/guardian is an active pupil transportation employee for the past 3 years. The student must have an overall 3.0 GPA and be attending a post-secondary educational institute in the Fall of 2019. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 26, 2019.
- UNA's Cheerleader tryouts will be May 2-5, 2019. A minimum of a $1,000 yearly scholarship will be offered to those who make cheerleader. Scholarships amounts will be determined after tryouts. To get more information come by the the Guidance Department or visit www.roarlions.com
- Enter the Suntrust Off To College Scholarship Sweepstakes for a chance to win one of 30 $500 scholarships. Two $500 scholarship winners will be randomly chosen every two weeks. You can enter once each drawing period from September 10, 2018- May 13, 2019. Enter to win at www.suntrust.com/offtocollege.
- The Horatio Alger Career & Technical Scholarship Program will award scholarships to students all over the nation who have financial need and have exhibited integrity and perseverance in overcoming personal adversity. Must be attending a college or technical program in the Fall of 2019 and be Pell Grant eligible. To apply go to www.application.horatioalger.org. Deadline is June 15, 2019.
- MG Law Office is offering a great scholarship opportunity that we want to be sure that your students are aware of and have the opportunity to apply for. The scholarship is available for high school seniors. To enter, you must create a 45-60 second video advertisement on the dangers of drunk driving. The winning ad will be selected based on quality, usability, effectiveness, creativity, and helpfulness to warn people about the dangers of drunk driving. The application can be found at https://www.mg4law.com/nationwide-scholarship/. Deadline is July 1, 2019.
SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL GRADE LEVELS
- The National Student Leadership Conference 2019 Summer Conferences offer 21 programs for different interests. Participates get to experience life on a college campus, hands-on simulations, leadership training, exclusive guest speakers, behind the scenes tours and a chance to earn college credit. Program scholarships are available. Open to current 9th-11th graders. If interested in being nominated to attend, see your counselor in the Guidance Department.
- The Auburn University Summer Youth Camps are filling up fast. Most of camps are first-come first-served and we don't want you to miss out. Explore the opportunities by visiting the Auburn Youth Program Website.
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville will host a summer Reading Skills and Speed Reading Program for preschool- high school age students. Call 1-800-903-0623 to register.
- Calhoun's Summer ARTS CAMP called "The Project" is open to rising high school juniors and seniors who are interested in the arts (theater, music, visual arts, art technology, etc.). Students must had taken at least one art class. It is FREE to attend. More information and applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 15, 2019.
- Calhoun Community College will host the 14th annual Summer Welding and Electrical (SWeETY) Camp this summer for girls entering 9th-12th grade. The camp will be held June10-13 and will include four days of welding, electrical technology and additive manufacturing projects. Camp registration will be limited to 21 participants and cost $10. GO to https://calhoun.edu/events/SWEETY.
- At Duke Summer Session, you will have the opportunity to have the authentic college experience of living in Duke University’s dorms and taking credit-bearing classes alongside undergraduate students, but also the opportunity to accompany your college application with a letter of recommendation from a Duke instructor and transcript from Duke University – two substantive indicators that you have what it takes to thrive in an elite academic setting. For more information and to apply visit HERE. The deadline to apply is April 15, 2019.
- Get a "dose" of the pharmacy world at the Ole Miss School of Pharmacy's Rebel Camp (apply by May 1) or the Ole Miss Pharmacy Summer College Pre-Pharmacy Program (apply by June 1) For more information, visit pharmacy.olemiss.edu/summer-programs.
- The University of North Alabama's Anderson College of Nursing hosts a two day Aspiring Nurses Camp for rising 11th & 12th grade students. More information and applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is May 5, 2019.
- The 10th Annual Alabama Lions High School Leadership Forum will take place at Troy University June 21-23, 2019. More information is available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is May 24, 2019.
- The University of Alabama's Early College Summer on Campus 2019 is available to students grades 9-12 who have completed the UAEC200 class. It is an opportunity to live on the University of Alabama's campus for one month in June or July and take 2 courses for college credit. More information is available by calling (205) 348-7083 or emailing email@example.com. Deadline to apply is May 11 for the 1st term and June 18 for the second term.
- The Army Educational Outreach Program offers the STEM Apprenticeship Opportunities for High School Students. Visit www.usaeop.com for more information.
Need a Recommendation?
- Look at the recommendation criteria. It will be specific in who the recommendation can come from.
- Don't assume they will write one for you- ask.
- Choose someone with whom you've had a positive relationship.
- Provide them with a resume, what or who the recommendation is for, and when you need it completed.
- Let them know if it is to be returned to you or if they are to mail it. If they are to mail it, please provide them with a stamped, addressed envelope.
- Don't rush in the day before the deadline. Give them ample time to write the recommendation. A month before the deadline is preferable. The more time allow, the more thoughtful your recommendation will be.
Please fill out in order for me to write the best letter of recommendation possible.