April 4, 2016
I hope this latest edition of "HMMS Happenings!" finds you all well and surviving this blast of wintery weather! It is hard to believe when you look outside the window that we are in the final third of the school year! However, inside our classrooms -as we leave March and head into April - HMMS staff and students continue to transition smoothly into Term 3.
I continue to be impressed with the engaging lessons developed by teachers as I walk around and visit classrooms. Recently I have seen hands-on learning experiences for students in classes such as art, Spanish and science and have observed teachers facilitating meaningful discussions in classes such as ELA, math and social studies. I have also observed students using technology in a variety of ways - to create videos, to conduct research and collaborate on projects, to create their own study guides, and to complete writing assignments. Teachers and staff are constantly finding new and interesting ways to "hook" students into the day's learning. These practices allow for active participation and engagement by our students and help them truly understand and master the curriculum.
In addition to the experiences brought into the classroom, our HMMS staff work hard to provide a variety of meaningful experiences for students through after school clubs. It is great to see so many students take advantage of these offerings available to them.
Below are some pictures taken recently from Community Service Club. This club has organized many school-wide events to connect to the greater Franklin community and beyond, including food and clothing drives, Tech Help at the Senior Center, and a school-wide World Peace Day.
A couple of weeks ago Mrs. Donahue, the club advisor, connected with skilled craftsmen and woman from the Franklin Senior Center to share their expertise in woodworking and quilting. You can see from the pictures that valuable connections and experiences were gained from this one afternoon!
Thank you to Mrs. Donahue and all of our club advisors for their tremendous work after school to inspire and enrich our students!
Community Service Club - An Introduction to Quilting and Woodworking
Below is our growing list of "Important Dates to Remember" as well as two recent articles highlighting the value of social-emotional connection and learning, an important topic of conversation especially for middle school students.
The video link below is from Kid President. His videos have gone viral over the past several years, but this is one of my favorites. It reminds me that, while life is filled with challenges, we are all on the same team. AND, we should all remember to take a few moments to dance...
Have a great week!
HMMS Important Dates to Remember...
- Now thru April 6 - Order an HMMS Yearbook for $27
- Monday, April 7 - HMMS Yearbook price increases to $30 thru 4/27
- Tuesday, April 12 - 7th & 8th Grade PARCC Infrastructure Trial
- Wednesday, April 13 - 6th Grade PARCC Infrastructure Trial
- Wednesday, April 13 - FEF FPS & Middle School Trivia Bee @ 7pm, HMMS
- Monday, April 18th - Friday, April 22nd - No School (Spring Break)
- April 25-29 Online Scholastic Book Fair
- Wednesday, April 27 - Spring Picture Day
- Wednesday, April 27 - STEM Night and Scholastic Book Fair @ HMMS
- Wednesday, April 27 - Last day to order an HMMS Yearbook!
- Friday, April 29th - Early Release Day (10:40 am dismissal) 1/2 PD Day for Staff
- Tuesday, May 3 - PCC meeting @ HMMS Cafeteria, 8:45 am
- Tuesday, May 3 - PARCC testing begins for grades 6-8 (see calendar attached)
- Friday, May 6 - HMMS Drama Club performs "Haphazardly Ever After" @ 7pm
- Tues-Wed, May 10-11 - 8th Grade Science MCAS testing
- Wednesday, May 18 - 5th Grade Parents - HMMS Information Night
- Tuesday, May 24 - 8th Grade Shakespeare Program @ HMMS
- Tues-Fri, May 24-27 - 6th Gr groups attend "Save the Bay" field trip in Providence, RI
- Thursday, June 2 - 7th Grade Social, 2:00-3:30 @ HMMS
- Friday, June 3rd - FHS Graduation and All Night Party @ HMMS
- Tuesday, June 7 - HMMS Chorus and Instrumental Spring Concert
- Thursday, June 9 - 6th Grade Social, 2:00-3:30 @ HMMS
- Friday, June 10 - Music Dept. trip to Canobie Lake Park (after school)
- Tuesday, June 14 - 5th Graders Tour HMMS (Oak St. & Kennedy Schools)
- Wednesday, June 15 - HMMS Talent Show
- Thursday, June 16 - 8th Grade BBQ
- Tuesday, June 21 - 8th Grade Awards, Promotion & Dance
- Tuesday, June 21 - Rock Band Club Concert @ 12:00 pm
- Wednesday, June 22 - 8th Grade Breakfast & Video Yearbook