California State University Counselor Conference News
News from the CSU Counselor Conference
CSU received over 790,000 applications from prospective students for the Fall 2015 -- more than 30,000 over last year. Of those, 552,642 applications were submitted by first-time freshmen applying to more than one campus, about 26,000 more than last year. California residents make up 95% of new CSU students.
Program/Major Impaction: A campus receives more eligible applications for a specific undergraduate program in the initial filing period than there are enrollment spaces available.
Most campuses have at least one impacted major/program:
• Typically impacted at upper-division level
• Students must meet criteria such as specific core/major prep courses, GPA in those courses, cumulative GPA, or a combination of factors
Campus Impaction: A campus receives more eligible applications in the initial filing period than there are enrollment spaces available for the class level (freshman or upper division transfer).
All program impaction means that the number of applications from fully eligible students to a designated major on a CSU campus during the initial filing period far exceeds the number of spaces available in that major. However, students can still be admitted to the campus in an alternate major, or they may eventually be admitted to the oversubscribed major if they meet the supplementary admission criteria. Fresno, Fullerton, Long Beach, San Diego, San Jose, and San Luis Obispo campuses are impacted in all majors.
Campuses that are impacted for freshman admissions:
No Impaction (anticipate admitting all qualified applicants):
All programs impacted:
Hit the road, take a tour!
Some of the CSU campuses have scheduled open house events for interested students and families. Call or check their websites for more information:
- Bakersfield -- No Event
- Channel Islands -- Oct. 3, 15; Nov. 7 -- (805) 437-8520 Admissions
- Chico --October 24 -- (800) 542-4426 -- Information
- Dominguez Hills -- November 7 -- (310) 243-3422
- East Bay -- October 17 -- (510) 885-2612 -- Campus Events
- Fresno -- No Event
- Fullerton -- No Event
- Humboldt -- October 30 -- (707) 826-3510 -- HSU Preview Day
- Long Beach -- October 30 -- Valerie Bordeaux
- Los Angeles -- November 14 -- (323) 343-3839 -- Recruiting events
- Maritime Academy -- November 15 -- (707) 654-1330
- Monterey Bay -- October 10 -- (831) 582-3738
- Northridge -- No Event
- Pomona -- October 18 -- (909) 869-5299
- Sacramento -- October 24 -- (916) 278-7766
- San Bernardino -- October 24 -- (909) 537-5192 -- Outreach events
- San Diego -- No Event
- San Francisco -- No Event
- San José -- No Event
- San Luis Obispo -- October 17
- San Marcos -- No Event
- Sonoma -- No Event
- Stanislaus -- October 17 -- (209) 667-3070
Note: *Information as of Sept, 2015. CSU campus events and dates are subject to change without prior notice. Please contact the specific campus or visit its website for more up-to-date information.
SAT – CSUMentor Code is 3594
You can list CSUMentor as an SAT score recipient. The SAT institution code for CSUMentor is 3594. Listing 3594 will send your score to all CSU campuses for one price. CSUMentor will then store your scores for ALL CSU campuses to utilize. If you have not yet sent your scores to either a CSU campus or to CSUMentor, you can request this at http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/reg.html.