Moreau Heights Elementary
Giving our students HOPE for a better tomorrow one skill at a time!
We will begin a focus on our next Character trait - Respect.
Our Second Steps lesson this week.
All grade levels have a focus on Learning.
Kindergarten- Focusing Attention
1st grade - Focusing Attention
2nd grade - Focusing Attention and Listening
3rd grade - Using Self-Talk
4th grade - Listening with Attention
5th grade - Listening with Attention
Character Trait for September is Respect
Conscious Discipline Connection
There are "How To" suggestions and videos to show what it looks like.
Look also at the "Free Resources" link to see what you might want to print off or review for FREE!
Discipline Tips from Dawn
This week I'd like to share some tips for dealing with student behaviors that would fall in the minor category.
Remember, every redirection does not qualify as a minor. A minor occurs after you've given the student reteaching of expectations and redirection. If those redirects are not followed, then you would enter a minor.
1. Be mindful of your own reactions, don't take it personally.
2. Remember the 4-1 for positive praise. Praise them the second they make a good choice.
3. Use planned ignoring, proximity, and reminder of expectations.
4. Try to determine what's going on to cause the behavior.
5. Give them TIME. Most kids need some time before they are ready to talk and time to calm down. Give them the time they need.
6. Keep in contact with parents. Let them know when their child is struggling and bring them on board to work as a team.
Dealing with behaviors is always hard. It takes a lot of time and practice. Remember to remain calm. When you are calm, it helps the students to be calm as well.
Strategies for Building Community
Duties for the Week
Gym - Boeckman and Watson
Cafe - Schell and Ries
Collect students from the gym at 7:45
Calendar of Events
Monday, September 3
*No School - Labor Day
Tuesday, September 4
*Tier 2 mtg 3:45
Wednesday, September 5
*Sue at District Admin meeting and Diversity Training
*New Crew mtg 3:45 in library
Thursday, September 6
*Collaboration schedule begins
*Back to School Night for grades k-2 6:00 - 7:30
Friday, September 7
*iReady testing window closes at 3:00
Monday, September 10
*Data cycle discussions begin during team meetings
Tuesday, September 11
*MOMS Kick-off Event 6:00 in library
Wednesday, September 12
*Specials Collaboration 7:45 - 8:15
*Tornado Drill 2:00
Thursday, September 13
*Sue at admin meeting 12:00 - 4:00
*Watch DOGS Kick-off 6:00 on gym
Friday, September 14
*Mid-terms go home
- we have seen instances of teachers arriving in the gym, then catching up with one another which leads to longer time in the gym for some of our friends who need a more settled and structured environment to be successful
2. WE USE RESTROOM PASSES FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY! We are noticing from some classrooms, a steady flow of students to use the classroom pass for the restroom. There have been problems in the restrooms with toilets clogging and sinks being set to overflow. WHEN WE CLOSELY SUPERVISE, THESE THINGS ARE CAUGHT IMMEDIATELY OR DON'T HAPPEN.
- We need your help to follow this procedure and expectation.
3. Keep up your AWESOME noticing of positive choices! I am hearing lots of noticings, clear statements of expectations and celebrations. Keep up the good work!