September 25---September 29, 2023
A few words from Mr. Galloway
Good afternoon Blue Devil students and families.
First off thank you for taking the time to read this newsletter. I am the first to admit I get caught up in the fast pace of everyday life, but you taking the time to read this newsletter and be involved in your child's education and the happenings at their school are vital to the success of your child(ren) and this school. I sincerely appreciate your time and commitment to being active in your student(s) education. Spending 5-8 minutes on a Sunday afternoon at 6pm listening to my old, raspy, coach's voice on an all call is not good use of your time, so my hope is you are finding these newsletters are more productive and useful.
Go Big Blue!
David "Mick" Galloway
- OCTOBER 23 - Herff Jones Assembly 9:45 - 10:15 ~ Our new vendor, Herff Jones, will be here to show off all sorts of available senior gear and to give ordering information for Cap and Gown Kits, Class Rings, Letter Jackets, Graduation Announcements, and other Senior Class swag.
- Our school yearbooks will be distributed this Friday, September 29 during our afternoon Fall Fun day.
- The Pre-ACT for all 10th graders is coming up in October. More info in the Newsletter below.
- Our band will be selling raffle tickets for a chance to win a New Craftsman T3200 54 inch cut riding mower. Tickets can be purchased from any band student or at all regular season home football games. Tickets are $10.
- Flu season is here! Your k-12 student can receive a flu shot from the school nurses at school during the month of October. Permission forms must be completed by September 28th. Register your child ONLINE at surveymonkey.com/r/SchoolFlu2023 or return a paper form to your child's school.
- Auditions for the Children's Show, "Beauty and the Beast Bed and Breakfast" will be held on October 6th directly after school. Teacher recommendations are required for this audition. Please pick those up from Mrs. B. For more information contact Elizabeth Caroway.
The BHS Senior Center - The Home Of Everything You Need To Know
PARENT PORTAL INFORMATION
PowerSchool's Parent Portal is a service to the parents of our students. The portal provides access to your student(s) academic records through a secure internet connection. We believe the Parent Portal will enhance communication and support education. Please complete the parent portal agreement in order to be able to gain access to this valuable tool. Ms. Raines in our guidance office can answer any questions you may have with the portal.
1. If your family could benefit from extra food assistance, please reach out to the counselors at (828) 885-7328.
2. Wear YELLOW on Tuesday, September 26th, in honor of suicide awareness month!
3. UNC-System (all 16 public NC colleges) Virtual Open House on October 2nd - October 5th. Register HERE!
4. Senior families, please continuously check this link for an updated scholarship list: https://sites.google.com/tcsnc.org/bhsstudentservices/scholarships?authuser=0
5. Exam Exemption Policy
High school students who are enrolled in a course that does NOT have a state-mandated, end-of-course assessment, may be exempt from taking the final exam.
Students may be exempt if ALL of the following criteria are met:
- The student is NOT enrolled in a course with a state-mandated assessment
- The student has maintained an A or B in the course
- The student must have 6 or fewer tardies and/or early departure in the class (excused or unexcused)
- The student must have 5 or fewer absences in a class (excused or unexcused)
Students are encouraged to take all optional exams if they feel the exam grade may improve their final course grade. For students who are exempt, choosing to opt out of an optional exam does not harm the student’s grade.
Required state-mandated final assessments must be taken. The final assessment will be 25% of the student’s semester average.
Should your student be exempt from a final exam, you will receive a permission form from the teacher to sign, giving permission for your student to opt out of the exam.
We have completed the scheduling process for the fall semester. Anyone wanting a spring schedule change has until October 31 to submit that change to the guidance office. Change forms are available in the guidance office.
COUNSELING DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Kayla Byrd: Students with last names that begin with L-Z Email: email@example.com
Hailey Brinke: Students with last names that begin with A-K Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Courtney Owen: Crisis Counselor Email: email@example.com
Hallie Moore: Academic Counselor Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Teresa Raines: Data Manager, Student Attendance/Grades PowerSchool Email: email@example.com
BHS PreACT Parent/Guardian Letter
BHS PreACT Parent/Guardian Letter
September 18, 2023 Dear Parent/Guardian: The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) has a partnership with ACT, a not-for-profit organization that provides educational assessment, research, information, and program management services. In North Carolina, all tenth-graders t...
Attendance Policy/Tardy sheet
Copy of Attendance Policy
TRANSYLVANIA COUNTY SCHOOLS Attendance 2023-2024 for High School 8 Total Absences If a student is absent from school for nine (9) or more days in a semester (including unexcused and excused), the principal or a committee established by the principal shall determine the corrective and/or discipli...
BHS Attendance/Tardy Sheet
BHS Attendance/Tardy Sheet 2023-2024 1st Block 8:05-9:30 In by 8:33 = Tardy In after 8:33 = Absent Out before 9:03 = Absent 2nd Block 10:10-11:35 In by 10:38 = Tardy In after 10:38 = Absent Out before 11:08 = Absent 3rd Block (Lunch B) 11:40-1:05 In by 12:08 ...
Driver's Education Classes coming up
Driver's Education classes will be offered at Brevard High School from October 16th to October 27th. Registration is available on the Mountain Professionals Driving School website at mtnpro.com. Students must be under 18, and their birthdate must be on or before 4/16/2009 in order to be eligible for the class. Payment is due upon registration and a direct registration link is at mtnpro.com/bhsform.
Classes will run Monday through Friday, from 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM. Students must attend all classes to receive credit for the course.
If you have questions, please call Tom Sweet at (828)-884-7371
Weekly Athletic Events
For the week of Sept. 25-Sept. 29
JV/Varsity Mens Soccer
Monday- @ Patton 4/6pm
Wednesday- Home vs Hendersonville 4/6pm
Thursday- @ Shelby 5/7pm
Monday- Home vs West Henderson 4:30/5:30pm
Tuesday- Home vs RS Central 4:30/5:30pm
Thursday- OPEN week
Friday- OPEN week
Women’s Tennis (Home matches are at Brevard College)
Tuesday- Home vs East Rutherford 4pm
Thursday- @ RS Central 4pm
No meets this week
Wednesday- Home at Connestee CC 3pm
BHS Library News and Events
Voice of the Students (VOS) Information 2023-2024
- Serves as a solid platform for youth driven strategies that support mental health and emotional wellness.
- Bridge mental health and overall well being for teens.
- Creates a sustainable connection between community support organizations and youth.
- Helps teens find resources and opportunities related to their chosen strategies (school and community).
- Open to all middle and high school students in Transylvania County.