Discovery Boot Camp 8
15 days to a becoming a more connected Discovery Educator
DE Boot Camp: Engaging Students Day 3 .......................... Creating Writing Activities
Creating a Writing Prompt - Step 1: Create
On the first step of the Builder -
* enter a title
* select at least one grade level
* select at least one subject area
* do not check the box at the bottom to receive email when the writing prompt is completed UNLESS you want to receive an email for every student that completes your prompt
* click SAVE AND CONTINUE
Creating a Writing Prompt - Step 2: Build
To add your first resource, click EDIT on the Resource widget and find media to include, either by searching the library or by browsing your own MY CONTENT. When you find the media item you want to use, click its orange ADD+ button, then click FINISH EDITING to complete the process. To add more media, simply add another resource item and repeat the process.
You can also add as many text objects that you need - simply click in the text box, type, and format the text as desired.
Once your Writing Prompt is complete, scroll down and click SAVE AND CONTINUE
Evaluating Writing Prompts
To view results for a particular assignment, click the PLUS to the far left of that assignment to expand the results to the student level. This will show you which students have submitted the assignment and the date/time submitted, as well as provide you a link to the student's completed assignment.
With the Writing Prompt, you'll have the opportunity to add your own feedback comments for your students, and then either return the prompt to the student for revision or mark it as complete.
Today's Assignment: Create Your Own Writing Prompt
Bonus tip of the day! ........................................................... Make a Paper Slide Video
- Simply create drawings for each slide you'd like to include
- Place the drawings on a table
- Have one person hold a video camera, smart phone, or tablet, above the table where the drawings are in view
- Begin recording and either narrate the slides or play a recording that goes with them, and slide the drawings along to create the video.
Want to learn more? Watch the YouTube video below.
example student-created paper slide video
Are you just joining the Discovery Boot Camp? ........... Catch up on what you've missed so far
- Welcome to DE (Your Discovery Account)
- DE's Got a New Look (My DE)
- All Kinds of Media (The DE Media Library)
- Keeping it Organized (My Content)
- Viewing & Saving (The DE Media Player)
Week 2 - Engaging Students
Kayla Steiner..................................... Your Boot Camp Drill Sargent
Digital Learning and Media Specialist
Education Service Center Region 11
STAR Discovery Educator
Certified Safari Montage Trainer