Why is leadership in business important?
Characteristics of a leader
- Positive attitude
Alternatives to leadership
- Collegiality – members within a collegiality system are united by a common purpose and respect each other’s abilities to work towards that purpose.
- Consensus – this involves getting general agreement among the members of a group and giving serious treatment to every member’s opinion.
- Democracy – this usually refers to a form of government or rule when the supreme power is held by the members of the group
- Co-operative – this involves a group of people who voluntarily unite to meet their common economic, sociological and cultural needs and aspirations, an enterprise which is jointly owned and democratically-controlled.
How do gender and culture affect leadership?
Research on leadership differences between men and women shows conflicting results. Some research states that women have a different style of leadership than men, while other studies reveal no major differences in leadership behaviors between the genders.
Areas of study have included perceptions of leadership, leadership styles, leadership practices, and leadership effectiveness.
Some studies have found women leaders tend to demonstrate more communication, cooperation, affiliation, and nurturing than men in leadership.
Male leaders have been shown to be be more goal- and task-oriented and less relationship- and process-focused than women.
How can a leader steer decision making?
How can you become a great leader?
- Be a positive role model
- Be humble
- Practice communication
- Find a mentor
- Be emotionally aware
- Encourage creativity
- Be passionate about what you do
- Know your team
- Think positive
- Be yourself
- Study other great leaders
- Challenge others around you to be great