Pirate Cove Connection
PES Media Center News - February 2016
Bubble Gum Days - February 2-12
3rd Annual Pirate Cove Book Swap - Starts during Read Across America Week
Plastic Bags are a BIG DEAL! - Protect your library books. Please donate large bags.
What are we learning in Media this month?
- Media Center Survey
- What do you love about the library?
- Digital Citizenship - Digital Passport and Net Smartz Kids
- Pictures - Do they appeal to you and do they make the story better?
- Plot/Theme/Subject - Does the topic of the story make you think or teach a lesson? Do you and other children like the topic of the story?
- Characters - Can you relate to the characters? Are the characters funny or appealing in some way?
- Author/Illustrator - Does the author have a reputation for good books? Do you like other books by that author?
- Sea Slime - many sea creatures need "slime"
- Two Little Birds - a story about migration
- The Grudge Keeper - keeping a grudge can be a very big burden
- Tiny Rabbits Big Wish - being little has its advantages
- The Mitten - games and retelling the story
- Bubble Gum Fun
- The Library Gingerbread Man - learn to find books in the media center by learning Dewey
Our latest SSYRA Readers to reach 10 or more books
Payton P. - 15
Brody H. - 15
Kaleigh R. – 15
Ethan B. - 15
Nicholas M. 13
Alexandria K. – 11
Kayla K. – 10
Riley H. - 10
Once students have read 10 or more books they are eligible to participate in the Battle of the Books. The test to determine our team members will be on March 17, 2016. Keep reading pirates!
Birthday Book Club
The Palencia Elementary School Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth.
To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardback book. This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves. For more information, contact the media center.