Fearless in Fifth
Indian Creek 5th Grade Newsletter: Week of November 16th
**UPDATED** Outdoor School Chaperone NEED!!
If you are a chaperone, Mrs. Purvis and Mrs. Horne are having an orientation meeting to give you more information/details about your job and what to expect at Outdoor School. The meeting will be on Monday and will start at 5:30 and will be in Mrs. Horne's room. The meeting should not last more than 30 minutes. Please let us know if you can make it!
Teacher Copy Room NEED!
Indian Creek Teachers :)
Link to Volunteer Spot: http://vols.pt/XugV4d
Indian Creek PTA!
"Putting An to End Bedtimes Battles"
Over the years, we've met hundreds of parents who've practically given up on trying to get their kids to stay in their bedrooms at night.
Fortunately, we've also seen hundreds solve this problem with the practical tips below:
- Abolish bedtime in favor of "bedroom time."
While it's not within our control to make our kids fall asleep in their beds, we can control whether they stay in their rooms. Say, "You may do whatever you like as long as you stay in your room and you don't cause a problem."
- If they come out of their room, shut their door.
Some parents decide to keep putting their children back in the room. Others decide to hold the door shut. Some decide to latch the door shut until their child is willing to stay in their room.
- Ensure supervision and safety.
Make the room safe and stay right outside their door until they are calm.
- Expect them to throw a huge fit.
This is normal.
- Don't talk to them through the door.
Each word we say increases the duration of their fit.
- Open the door only when they fall asleep or are willing to stay in their room.
- Be as consistent as possible.
When parents stick to this plan, they usually see major improvement in less than a week's time.
- Use these tips only with children who are at least one year of age.
With little babies, just love them and do whatever it takes to soothe them. The first year of life is all about meeting needs and establishing trust and love.
Thanks for reading! Our goal is to help as many families as possible. If this is a benefit, forward it to a friend.
Dr. Charles Fay
What We Are Learning this Week:
- We will have an assessment over Topic 6: Dividing Decimals with Models on Tuesday. We will review multiplication skills with a project, beginning Tuesday and finishing on Friday.
- We will continue to focus on inferencing skills. We will review inferencing and author's purpose on Monday, and then have an assessment on Tuesday.
- We will then begin a unit on Non Fiction Text Features.
- We will continue to work on our news articles that the students are creating using the inferences they made about what may have happened to the Lost Colony of Roanoke.
- We will continue studying different forms on energy.
- We will continue our unit on the earliest colonies in North America. The students will learn about Roanoke, Jamestown and Plymouth and will learn about the different challenges that faced these early English colonies.
Please contact the appropriate teacher to let us know if your child is staying to attend tutoring.
Tutoring is after school and ends at 3:35pm. Please pick up your child at the front of the building promptly at 3:35.
Monday - Math (Mrs. Purvis & Mrs. Vitosh)
Tuesday - Reading (Mrs. Brown, Ms. Horne, & Mrs. Legg)
Wednesday - Any Subject (all teachers, Ms. Legg will have writing tutoring)
Resources to Use:
Math:Access the math textbooks online by first going to www.lisd.net.
Go to the "Resources" tab and click on "for Students."
Once there, click on "Digital Resources."
On the right side of the page is a button that says "Pearson Realize."
The log-in is the same as your student's district log-in.
The Social Studies Alive curriculum is entirely online. Here is how your student can access the information from home:
website: www.teachtci.com (and select 'student')
username: last name, 1st initial
password: ID # (numbers only)
Mrs. Brown - @MrsBrowngrade5
Mrs. Horne - @fearlessin5th
Ms. Legg - @leggn1
Mrs. Purvis - @fifthisfun
Mrs. Vitosh - @AmyVitosh
Fifth Grade Team - @5thicefalcons
Indian Creek - @IndianCreekES