Gorilla beringei beringei
- color: Black or Silver
- Size range: males-4 11"- 6 3" females- 4 3"
- Weight range: males- 430 lbs- 490 lbs female- 200 lbs-250 lbs
ANIMAL GROUP : Troups
- high altitudes 7,200 - 14,000 ft.
- most found on slopes of : Karisimbi, Mikeno, & Visoke
- Dense vegetation at bottom of mountains
- Forest are often cloudy, misty, &cold
- Central Africa
- Dormant Volcanoes and the surrounding forests
5 interesting facts
- Gorilla is derived from the Greek word "Gorillai" meaning hairy women
- Arms are longer than their legs
- Very intelligent primates
- Gorilla beds are called nests
- Gorilla don't need to drink from lakes or streams
Why are they endangered?
- Poaching- Abduction of infants for illegal selling to zoos and as pets. This often results in other adult gorillas being killed in the process.
- Habitat loss- Rapidly expanding human settlements are removing the gorilla habitat
- Disease- Regular contact of tourists with the gorillas allows transmission of diseases from humans to the gorillas
HOW MANY ARE LEFT
Approximately 800 mountain gorillas are left
ROLE IN THE ECOSYSTEM
By eating various vegetation they make sure that the food chain stay in perfect balance.
WHY THEY NEED TO BE SAVED
They help make sure their environment remains stable for them and surrounding wildlife.
- Organizations help locals use resources that wont harm the gorillas habitat
- Stopping oil exploration in gorilla habitats
WHAT CAN WE DO
- Donate to an organization like Gorilla Fund International
- Adopt a gorilla
- Support Virunga to stop the oil company SOCO